Tuckerman Ravine Hike and Sled

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
Sledding! Yet another sport to add to the list in winter!

We had our SledFest and it was a blast. We hiked up 2.4 miles up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center with a brief stop to the Hermit Lake Shelter. We were granted a sunny start but as we climbed higher it became cold, cloudy and windy. We decided not to continue to the bowl due to poor visibility and very cold conditions.

featurePhoto_3995.JPG

The Sherburne trail (sledding!) starts here. The Sherburne trail is 2.5 mile ski/sled trail. It is very wide (20-30 ft), and is below tree line. Sherburne has a grade all the way to the bottom so we could sled all the way down! It's got a good mix of straight-aways, turns, downhills into snowbanks and little jumps. The round-trip time was 4 hours with breaks. We took our time heading down. I think next year we might walk back up and repeat good sections. We saw about 3 skiers and riders the whole time we were sledding down.

The snow conditions were ideal for sledding – we had a great time.

Most of our sleds were similar but Jon’s was too small for him. Tim’s sled seemed to be the fastest I think because it was new and had some sort of bump under the front to keep it from digging into the snow…it also seemed more aerodynamic. The brand name was “Torpedo.” Jon’s sled ended up shattering near the end and we have good video of it.

Unbelievably great fun! This was one of the best winter trips I've been on. SUCH A BLAST!!! I would totally recommend it again. Definitely worth becoming a tradition.

>>Click Here For Pictures and Sledding Videos

Attachments

• P2060053 (Small).jpg
    P2060053 (Small).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 230
We saw you guys heading up in the morning. We were at Joe Dodge, teaching backcountry skiing on the lower Sherbie in the morning, then up to HoJos that afternoon. The snow was quite excellent.

The Sherbie is a great sled. Next time you should try going down at at night in a snowstorm! :)

We saw you guys heading up in the morning. We were at Joe Dodge, teaching backcountry skiing on the lower Sherbie in the morning, then up to HoJos that afternoon. The snow was quite excellent.
I saw a big group of skiers in front of the lodge as we were leaving so it must have been your group. With all of this snow, it was ideal for that type of workshop!
The Sherbie is a great sled. Next time you should try going down at at night in a snowstorm! :)
Wow, that's taking it to a whole new level but its sounds like a lot of fun...especially under a full moon!

Been on my to-do list for a long time! Have any of you tried zipfy's? I am going to attempt the Sherbourne on those soon since they have greater control than most sleds. I used them on the Doublehead Ski Trail, top to bottom, and they were incredible.

Been on my to-do list for a long time! Have any of you tried zipfy's? I am going to attempt the Sherbourne on those soon since they have greater control than most sleds. I used them on the Doublehead Ski Trail, top to bottom, and they were incredible.

I've seen them but I prefer having my feet inside the sled than having to keep them up and above the snow. By placing our hands on both sides of the sled to steer, that seemed to work fine. I think Zipfy's run for about $30 when you can pick a cheap plastic sled for around $11.

I've seen them but I prefer having my feet inside the sled than having to keep them up and above the snow. By placing our hands on both sides of the sled to steer, that seemed to work fine. I think Zipfy's run for about $30 when you can pick a cheap plastic sled for around $11.

For the Sherbie almost any sled will do. For regular hiking trails, the zippfy or merikan middle styles really help with control.