Bridge on Cascade Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenpoint

Reaction score
We are hoping to take some new hikers up to Lonesome Lake Hut this summer by way of the Cascade Brook Trail. At our last attempt we were stopped by a sign that said that the bridge had been washed out by a storm. Does anyone know if the bridge has been rebuilt or if we will be able to cross the brook by summer 2015?
Thanks.
Greenpoint

You might ask Pemigewasset Ranger District of White Mtn Natl Forest when they plan to replace it. Other possible info source is AMC trails dept at 466-2721.

I imagine in summer that its not too bad of a rock hop so long as there hasn't been a big rain recently. we did it in spring a couple years ago and it was a bit dicey but it was definitely very high water. we found that going upstream slightly from the bridge crossing presented a good rock hop with a well beaten spur back to the trail. On our way back to snow melt increased the volume so we had to go much further upstream to cross back.

I did that route last summer in average water levels and the crossing is fine. The trail is rerouted shortly up the trail from where you can see the old bridge pilings. The water near the site of old bridge has some pretty deep water pockets and looked like a tough spot to cross but the rerouted portion upstream was much better and if not hoppable could certainly be done comfortably in water shoes. Just check the USGS River Flow Data before your trip.

Ah yes, I remember now.

First bridge I recall on this site was one peeled log with a handrail held up by a smaller log angling down to center of span from each end of bridge. As that was long ago I could easily be misremembering where it was.

Second bridge was built by AMC's paid seasonal pro crew on the abutments you see in the photo. It was a pony truss bridge made of extruded fiberglass members produced by ET Techtonics. Like all bridges it can be washed away in a flood, which happened in April 2011 during the Spring snowmelt, I seem to recall there was an ice jam plus heavy rains, but am not certain of those details. It was a strong well-built bridge. Too bad the designers did not think to make the abutments higher than they are. Since the brook drains the east side of Kinsman Ridge from Kinsman Pond Trail clockwise around to Hi-Cannon Trail including Kinsman Pond and Lonesome Lake... if there is ever another bridge there, I am sure the abutments will be much higher.

Thanks to everyone. This was my first time asking for information on the forum and the responses have been great. We are looking forward to this coming hiking season and we will attempt the crossing probably mid- summer. The photo was wonderful!

Greenpoint

Not to change your plans, but if they are really new to hiking, the Lonesome Lake trail might be a better option. It is so user friendly they might be more comfortable and you could go down the Cascade brook trail as a loop, descending the harder trail is easier and maybe this would make for a easier trip and better intro overall, just a thought.