Looking for new soft shell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
My Mountain Hard Wear soft shell is starting to show its age and looking for recommendations for a replacement.
Outside - 4 zipper pockets: 2 large slash pockets and two breast pockets. Pit zips.
Inside - 1 zipper pocket and another non zippered. Jacket lined with thin microfiber.

Would like to find a hooded soft shell that approximates these features, and with end of winter sales, under $200.

This MH soft shell has been tortured in all weather and conditions and has just been fabulous.

Thanks

This jacket doesn't meet all of your criteria (only a single chest pocket), but if you like MHW this may do the trick.

Principio Hybrid Jacket: The link below offers some customer reviews

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...cket_10222732_10208_10000001_-1_#pd_addtocart

I own and very much like this jacket, but it is not the jacket I reach for in bitterly cold weather or when there is a chance of a "wintry mix". It offers good weather resistance but my EMS Ascent series softshell is more weather resistant and about as thick as a wetsuit.

FWIW this is a good jacket for most applications and is well under $200. Marmot offers a lot good alternatives in their series of M1 and M2 jackets. I recently purchased a hooded M3 jacket from them for high aerobic activities in reasonably decent weather.

Good luck,

Z

That Principio doesn't list pit zips, and I haven't found anything with them in several years. I was going to put in an order with Beyond Clothing and surprise...they don't do custom anymore. Hoods are also fairly rare in soft shells these days, although that wasn't a major concern for me.

I ultimately picked up the LL Bean Pathfinder soft shell, but it does not have the hood or zips. Three outside pockets (clearly visible) and two unzipped, vertical (open top) pockets inside, behind the main outside pockets. The cut is rather mainstream America; I wound up with a Medium Tall and that's probably the best fit, but it's definitely tight across the shoulders while still having a bit of extra space in the gut. (6'3", 190lb, about 14% fat, slightly soft triathlete build.) On the plus side, very affordable and pretty easy to send back if you don't like. The guy I did the NEHH with wore one as his go-to jacket and it probably went up 75/100 plus lots of town wear and was in great shape; it may actually be at Amundsen-Scott with him now.

On very cold winter days, I'm still wearing my REI Neo, which was made with pit zips at the time (not by the end of production). The Large is nice and long but also a little excessively roomy on me, which is why it's the go-to if I need to do more extensive layering underneath.

I have the Patagonia Mixed Guide Hoodie. Hardshell above, soft shell on the body. Hood; 4 pockets; no pit zips. Pretty happy with it. Can be had for under 200, especially if you have a Patagonia Outlet (NOT the "Patagonia Retail Store", but the "Factory Outlet") near you.

I have a Mountain Hardware MixAction that I like very much. Might even be the "new, updated" version of yours. Sizing is "active fit" so a little snug but true to sizing and nice freedom of movement with the stretch material. So far I've found the placement of the waterproof fabric to be spot on. End of season should bring the $290 price down to around your monetary goal. If you have a shop around you who carries it, try it.

Thank you. I'll check these out and any other suggestions. Looks like I'm going to have to skip the pit zips. Really like the hood for when I'm out in the open and messing with Toby for her romp every morning. Like roomy so it's versatile for mountains at varying seasons. Much appreciated.

Years ago I had an anorak I used for many winter 4Ks, after one or two trips without pit zips, I got out a razor blade, cut out the seams and added in pit zips and sewed them in by hand. May not have been particularly uniform but they have held up for 10 plus years although for several years it has been relegated to campfires and cold weather construction. I expect if you can find someone who sews that they could add in pit zips to most equipment.

I went through a search for this a few weeks ago looking for something that was on sale/clearance. I found that that pit zips significantly limit your choices. I could only find a fleece jacket- North Face Denali- not a shell. But things may improve as stuff has to be moved out.

My understanding is that most clothing retailers use commercial financing to buy their seasonal (winter) inventory and are always under pressure to keep it moving, hence, steep mark downs as soon as sales drop.

I went through a search for this a few weeks ago looking for something that was on sale/clearance. I found that that pit zips significantly limit your choices. I could only find a fleece jacket- North Face Denali- not a shell. But things may improve as stuff has to be moved out.

My understanding is that most clothing retailers use commercial financing to buy their seasonal (winter) inventory and are always under pressure to keep it moving, hence, steep mark downs as soon as sales drop.

I spent a lot of time looking for a softshell with pit zips after finally demoting my trusty hardshell. A few sales people laughed when I inquired about pit zips stating that essentially that was the idea behind a more breathable fabric...true, but please. ;)

If I could find a softshell with descent waterproofing in my size I would snatch one up without hesitation. There are times when the wind is howling and I am still sweating. Pit zips would be key for sure.

The idea of having someone add them is great. It would increase the weight of the garmet, but a sweat-soaked jacket and series of layers adds a lot of weight too.

Be well,

Z :D

What is softshell good for? ie, best applications?

What is softshell good for? ie, best applications?

I am sensing that Maineman isn't a big fan of softshells. ;)

IMHO I wouldn't say that there is a specific "time and place" answer for your question.

I use a softshell (of some variety) in 3 out of the 4 hiking seasons. When it is very warm or very wet I opt for a rain shell. Sometimes I wear this over a softshell for a little added insurance. I personally enjoy the breathability of a good softshell with the appropriate layers for the conditions and level of exertion. It took me a little while to fully come around and put my trust in something other than a hardshell, but as long as I am moving, the proper softshell selection keeps me warm and relatively dry (sweat is always an issue for me). A puff jacket is something that lives in my pack from fall until late spring as an insulating layer in case I need additional warmth. I own 4 softshells at the moment. A Marmot M2, A Marmot M3 (Estes Hoody), A Mountain Hardwear Principio Hybrid, and an EMS Ascent series ultra thick softshell. When the temperature dips below 50 degrees I will always have a place for a softshell in my hiking arsenal.

I hope this helps, RUP

Z :D

My OR soft shell is either on me or in my pack from mid to late October until it's replaced with a light wind/rain shell in spring time. How much is under depends on temperatures and exertion. I adjust clothing layers and 'just in case' clothes, cloves, hats, extra socks depending on season, conditions, and time out in the woods.

After looking at recommendations here (thank you), I got a RAB Scimitar Jacket. Didn't meet a number of the things I was looking for in the O.P., but the price and reviews were great. When the jacket arrived the dual zipper took a couple of minutes to engage and longer to unzip. After trying a few times it was clear that the individual jacket was faulty or the design was. And the thin draft flap needed to be pushed back every time the jacket was zipped and unzipped.
Back it went and just got an OR Transfer Hoody. Discontinued model, no pit zips, but flexible soft shell with 3 large pockets, micro fleece lining, long sleeves and a great hood and deep discount online ( around $80), made it too good a deal to pass up.

My Cloudveil soft shell has 4front pockets and 2 inside pockets. One is zippered and another has a snap closure.