Forgot how bad Polartec Fleece is

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG you're old. ;)

I bet you even had a 60/40 parka at some point. Wait, I guess you did: Any companies still make windshells with the 'old' 60-40 cloth ?
I still have my 60/40 although it is not in the best of shape. And I have a 65/35 that is still quite useable. Might even be better than the current waterproof-breathable shells at temps below 10 or 20F...

That thread is 3 years old--the status of my old shells has not changed--but I don't think I have used them since posting in that thread either...

I also have cotton fishnet, wool fishnet, and polypropylene long underwear to go along with my modern polyester and wool.

Doug

Last edited:
Threw out cotton fishnet long before it wore out. 60/40 lasted a few years before the cotton ripped. Wore it up the Grand in 74.

As near as I can determine, the fleece wicked all my sweat away where it evaporated, the re-condensed as frost between the fleece and the shell - enough so that it really did look like a 1/2 inch of snow. I was still warm and dry.

Freeze-dried fleece?

I live in fleece of various weights in the cooler months. Have many brands including Bean's application of Polartec and find they all perform well as intended.

I don't ever recall any being advertised as "waterproof". Breathable; yes, but the water tends to bead, not to be repelled. After a time when enough moister beads up it will tend to soak through but in those conditions I'll normally wear a true, waterproof and breathable (GoreTex) layer over.

PolarTec/Malden Mills had a factory store in Methuen MA. In their seconds bins were hats and jackets from Bean's, Turtle Fur, and Patagonia. I imagine Malden Mills fleeces are used by more brands than we can imagine.

Malden mills was the subject of a lot of positive publicity when the founder ran it. They made a good product and still do but off shore competition drove them to bankruptcy and the company lost some of its shine when reorganized. Fleece is made of the same exact material as a soda bottle and Patagonia's fleece was/is made of 100% recycled soda bottles. It cannot absorb moisture into the fiber. There are various surface treatments that can make it more or less likely to attract moisture but its primary function is as an insulator which traps air. If any fleece is used under a membrane no matter its designation as breathable, during heavy exertion, the membrane is not going to breathe enough and form condensation inside the shell. In those conditions the only options are stop exerting oneself until the membrane can deal with the vapor or ventilate. Realistically most folks cant tell the difference between brands of fleece except for the logo although cheap fleece used to be coarser and also tended not to be as durable.

Realistically most folks cant tell the difference between brands of fleece except for the logo although cheap fleece used to be coarser and also tended not to be as durable.

This is the case with my two fleece jackets. My primary one needs a zipper replaced (second time) so I am using my older on which is definitely courser and develops leaky spots much like down over time. It still insulates fairly well, but I get convection loss that wasn't there when new. The jacket is 15 years old at this point, so no complaints, but it certainly wears differently than more modern fleece.

I've never had any problems with Polartec fleece, or really any type of fleece. There are slight quality differences in the fabric, but the main issue for each garment is the quality of the design and manufacturing. I'm not sure I understand the problem reported by thread starter.

Years ago I bought a Fleece jacket with the OBS logo on it to support the OBS. This jacket was made by Chuck Roast in NC and I believe it was Polartec Fleece. While it was never a hiking jacket, I used it alot in San Fran in wet and windy conditions when I lived there, seemed to be a great jacket, heck I still have it, I'm just not at home to look at the label.

Hi All,

To get back to the original post; Yes, I must concur that the heavy weight L.L. Bean fleeces were like sponges after a snowshoe outing. Then again, this is before I started using various softshells almost exclusively.

I have really enjoyed the Polartec Power Stretch material for mid-layers and hats.
Here is a product (albeit not a Power stretch) from the North Face that I really, really like. It has a very minimal "nap" on the inside and a smooth textured weave on the outside.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...s&recid=nosearch_PageElement_nosearch_rr_2_52

The half-zip is considerably cheaper: This one does not have a hood.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33513546

The owner of my local outfitter in Exeter, NH swears by it.

Z :D

Last edited:
I wonder if the OP is talking about Polartec Windbloc fleece?

That stuff wasn't bad for standing around. It was windproof and relatively warm. But it wasn't breathable at all. A one mile run at 20F would leave me soaked.

I still have 200wt (LL Bean) and 300wt (TNF) Polartec that are pretty good, despite being 20 years old. My biggest beef is that it isn't packable.

I went into an ACE hardware star and WOW, they had the big Polartec Balaclavas for 5 bucks. I bought one....then when I got home I looked at the label closely and it said: "Polarex" :(

I wonder if the OP is talking about Polartec Windbloc fleece?

That stuff wasn't bad for standing around. It was windproof and relatively warm. But it wasn't breathable at all. A one mile run at 20F would leave me soaked.

Sounds right except I can't locate "Windbloc" on it. Other than LL Bean and Polartec, the only other info is "Made in Qiz Jordan".

I didn't expect this post to get 3 pages of replies. It was really just a note to myself to get this jacket out of the NH winter gear rotation.
It's fine for walking the dog.

Sounds right except I can't locate "Windbloc" on it. Other than LL Bean and Polartec, the only other info is "Made in Qiz Jordan".

I didn't expect this post to get 3 pages of replies. It was really just a note to myself to get this jacket out of the NH winter gear rotation.
It's fine for walking the dog.

There are not many questions posed in this forum that fail to get considerable attention and follow up. Just look at the threads on wind force and velocity that were derived from a simple YouTube video about winds on the MWOBS deck. I still have a popsicle headache from attempting to wade through those. There is a seemingly endless depth of knowledge on this forum, which is what makes it great.

Put the fleece jacket in your hall closet.... :)