missing hiker - Lancaster, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that PLBs are NOT designed to be "wicked accurate". They are intended to get rescuers close enough that the hand-held 121.5MHz receivers can provide directional information to locate the victim..

First, condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

I believe that sober, thoughtful discussion of the applicable facts of a tragedy such as this one may result in learning that may result in the avoidance of future occurances of incidents of this nature. I believe that this has been the case thus far in this forum.

This account states that a Civil Air Patrol aircraft determined that the PLB originated in the area of Star Lake.

For several years in the '80s, I served as a Civil Air Patrol volunteer, and flew a fair number of missions as pilot or observer. The idea of Civil Air Patrol as an auxiliary to the regular Air Force is that it is often more cost-effective to use light aircraft flying at relatively low speeds, operated by volunteer pilots familiar with the area than to use high speed jet aircraft which are very expensive to operate. While this experience is dated, perhaps there is some information that some will find useful.

When I was active, a satellite report from a single pass of the satellite would result in two locations, one on either side of the satellite path and perpendicular to it. In many cases, one of these locations would be in the Atlantic Ocean, and could often be eliminated based on other factors. Multiple satellite passes might further pinpoint the target area, but it might take several hours for this to occur. But this is what was used as a starting point for search by aircraft.

The aircraft direction finding equipment at the time consisted of a receiver that allowed listening to the transmission, and a display that indicted if the source was to the left-center-right of the aircraft. Typically, once you heard the signal, you would turn the aircraft to “center” this display, which would place the source directly ahead or behind the aircraft. If the signal became louder, you knew you were flying toward the source, if it got fainter, you knew the source was behind, and you turned the aircraft around and re-centered the signal. You flew straight ahead until the signal peaked, plotting the course. You then repeated the process from a different direction, and informed the ground searchers where the plots intersected. Altitude would often help, both to keep you out of ground turbulence, and to avoid having a signal in a valley blocked off by a ridge.

Handheld direction finding gear consisted of a somewhat cumbersome antenna that was held in a particular orientation, and a receiver with a similar left-center-right display. I have a great deal of respect for the aircrew bouncing around in a light aircraft in windy conditions above that terrain, as well as for the ground team operating hand-held direction finding equipment in the conditions that prevailed.

I do not recall being called out for a search of anything other than an aircraft beacon; personal transmitters were very uncommon at that time. Most of my flying was south of the Lakes region, I rarely ventured north of Laconia, as I was based in Nashua, and there were pilots from Laconia and Berlin much more familiar with flying in the northern tier of the state.

A target as large as an intact aircraft could be located within a few hours, and I did this several times, from the air, on the ground, at night and in daylight hours. A single person who was not active in signaling a searching aircraft can be virtually impossible to see from the air. On occasion for practice, I would hike into the woods with a practice transmitter for others to try to find, and unless I was actively trying to be seen, it would be rare to be spotted from the aircraft, even once the transmitter position was determined. A signal mirror, properly used (and assuming availability of the sun), was very effective in assisting the search aircraft in spotting someone on the ground.

I was very fortunate in that none of my "finds" were an actual person in distress, in each case it was a beacon that had been inadvertantly activated. In each case when I went to a person to ask them to check thier transmitter, I was glad that I was asking an unhurt person to do so. Much prefer finding 10 non-distress beacons than anyone actually hurt.

During the time I was an active pilot, when I hiked solo in the Whites, I would generally take with me an aircraft band transceiver, for emergency use. Never had to use it, thankfully, but pre-cellphone, I felt if I were injured, I could transmit on 121.5 (the emergency frequency) and get a message about my location and emergency to the appropriate authorities. Would probably still work better than a cellphone in some areas. Of course, you would need to be conscious.

A PLB is certainly better than nothing, but it will be several hours for 1) the signal to be heard (probably by a satellite), 2) the approximate location ascertained 3) a search crew assembled and dispatched 4) the search crew actually getting to you.

Last edited:
Excellent reporting from the Boston Globe. It does answer a lot of questions. A comment was made that he thought the headwind prevented her from returning back to Valley Way from Star Lake...I think one could possibly crawl back to the Valley Way trail in strong winds...we are talking about 1/4 mile...I think hypothermia was more a factor at that point in her journey.

The article didn't mention Gray Knob or Crag Camp as a near shelter/bailout. I haven't trie d from the summit of Adams, but might it be easier to get to tree line in those directions given similar winds? This is more of a, "how can I plan" question than a, "what I think she could have done" question.

Nicely described article. Curious how they came up with the facts, as is written, but seems as plausible an explanation as anything else.

Unfortunately, this could all come down to a trip and a fall, smashing one's face and losing the one margin of error she was allowed. Could've happened to anyone.

Other than actually going on the trip, can't say she did much wrong. The reasoning why she went seems almost reasonable, to a degree, as well. But, that one mistake which ultimately led to her demise ultimately may have happened from the warmth of her car ten hours earlier.

Really good article. Not hyperbolic, not blaming. Poor woman--what an ordeal. Yes, faulty judgment, and her own fault, but what a sad way to go. Alone, fearful, freezing. Gives me nightmares to think of it. RIP....

I went to the Boston Globe Metro to read the article and did a search to see if there was anything else....there is also a video with the Fish and Game people....during the video they show some beacon location and the officer does talk a little about her location. This may explain some of the information in the article.

The article didn't mention Gray Knob or Crag Camp as a near shelter/bailout. I haven't trie d from the summit of Adams, but might it be easier to get to tree line in those directions given similar winds? This is more of a, "how can I plan" question than a, "what I think she could have done" question.

From where she was given that Star lake is accurate, the Valley way was the appropriate bailout point hands down. The Northwest winds are brutal up there and while the RMC camps on many occasions could be viable, they would be harder to get to then the VW, imho.

From where she was given that Star lake is accurate, the Valley way was the appropriate bailout point hands down. The Northwest winds are brutal up there and while the RMC camps on many occasions could be viable, they would be harder to get to then the VW, imho.

I took the article to mean that she turned around at summit of Adams, so that is what I was referring to. With a NW wind, I can see backtracking down the Star Lake trail.

Star Lake trail is incredibly well sheltered from west and northwest winds from the summit to just south of star lake. The trade off is its very steep and hard to follow with snow on ground. There can be small snow slides. Attempting to head from the summit to Thunderstorm junction and the RMC camps is 100% exposure when dropping off the summit cone and then there is some shelter due to one of the lesser Adams summits (sorry cant remember the name). Unfortunately I expect the lesser summit just creates significantly more turbulence with little actual relief from the wind. I think the term vortex shedding may be somewhat descriptive. In certain wind and cloud conditions, it possible to observe this where the clouds appear laminar on the upwind side of a terrain feature while the cloud detaches and there are eddys on the downwind side. If the downwind side is a sharp cutoff like Madison gulf the eddys detach downwind leaving an area of somewhat less wind while with a relatively smooth obstruction the eddys will hang close to the downwind side which indicates that the winds will be rapidly varying in this area. I expect that this eddying also occurs as the Star Lake trail heads north to Madison Hut.

Its usually easier to walk in high winds if they are steady, its when its gusting is when folks tend to get thrown around.

Another question I have to help relate to the difficulty is the force of the wind. What is the water eqivilent? Like, walking up stream in waist-deep water that is moving at 5mph? Or chest deep water? Like running again a lazy river, or something comparable.

Last edited:
TJsName, I once was in wind gusting between 80 - 100 mph, in the exposed section of Bondcliff, in late Nov in 2002, and it repeatedly knocked me down and I was unable to make any forward progress. I'm around 160 lbs (plus a 40+ lbs pack) and pretty strong, so to be flung around by the wind was humbling. Only with the four members of our group linking together and driving forward during 'lulls' in gusts were we able to move forward. I truly thought during the experience that we would be blown off the ridge into the Pemi, and it was the deepest experience of futility I've ever had in my entire life. I can't imagine that coupled with hypothermia. As it was I needed all my concentration to get through it and I remember it acutely even 12+ years later.

edited for typo

Just read the Boston Globe story. Sad but at the same time, I have taken a few risks hiking and doing other things, but I can't imagine starting out into those conditions regardless of how skilled or equipped you are. Not sure what she was trying to prove to herself. None of that trip sounds like a good time. From what I read, it appears she was blown off the trail where the rescue team found her. That alone says a lot about conditions. The video was pretty scary.

Last edited:
TJsName, I once was in wind gusting between 80 - 100 mph, in the exposed section of Bondcliff, in late Nov in 2002, and it repeatedly knocked me down and I was unable to make any forward progress. I'm around 160 lbs (plus a 40+ lbs pack) and pretty strong, so to be flung around by the wind was humbling. Only with the four members of our group linking together and driving forward during 'lulls' in gusts were we able to move forward. I truly thought during the experience that we would be blown off the ridge into the Pemi, and it was the deepest experience of futility I've ever had in my entire life. I can't imagine that coupled with hypothermia. As it was I needed all my concentration to get through it and I remember it acutely even 12+ years later.

edited for typo

This should be printed on weatherproof posters and appended to the "turn back now" signs on the trails. It's an excellent description, and thanks for sharing your experience.