NH 4k footer on 2/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, 60 views and no replies... Maybe because folks don't know me.

I'm just an average winter hiker, who rarely gets a chance to get out. And when I do, it is rare that any of of my hiker friends are free the same day. So rather that go solo, I figured I'd post here. The list above contains a few of the 4K footers still on my to-do list.

So if you're interested in a hike to any of those peaks, and need someone to hike with - or if you have any questions - please reply.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick: fellow hikers might be waiting til later in the week to reply, given some snow coming tonite/tomorrow and sometime Saturday...which trails would you be taking to those peaks you are interested in?

Thanks for the reply Lefty.

Given the forecast, I had to move my Sunday plans to Saturday, meaning Sunday 2/22 is now the day I will be free to hike.

You ask which trails:

- I have wanted to do the Webster/Jackson loop counter clockwise in winter ever since doing in summer many years ago.

- Madison in winter is really only practical done via Valley Way - unless you know something I don;t :)

- Moosilauke via Glencliff Trail

- Wildcat and Cabot I would defer to someone who knows them better than I.

Hope the weather and trail conditions work out for you..!! only asked because, for example, the Webster Cliff Trail from Webster summit to Jackson summit (and sometimes even the Webster Branch) is not too popular and not broken out...but it looks like you check out trail condition reports and want to hike with others who know the peaks, which is a good hiking habit..have a good one..

Hey!! I will do Mooselauke with you Sunday!! Glencliff sounds perfect. I have done it from the other directions but never from Glencliff!!

Sorry, I meant WE, Harley and I, it is actually his peak!!

Great.

I think we might want to recruit one more participant because:
1) I have not climbed via Glencliff either, and it'd be nice to have someone along who's done it.
2) Given the forecast, we'll likely be breaking trail, and another sole will be welcome to share the chore.

#1 is not is really a deal breaker. I am familiar with the ridge - where it matters most.

But I think it's best to expect the worst in terms of trail breaking: we might get lucky and find the trail broken, but we may also find it drifted and laborious.

A general comment, if any trail up the moose is going to be broken out, it will be glencliff, that said no guarantees and given the blowing snow today I expect there will be some interesting drifts. There is a lot to be said to be a bit casual on the start time to let the early birds get a start on the breaking ;) The key is to look carefully at the wind speeds on Washington in the AM and any wind speed predictions, its easy to get up to the carriage road on a windy day but that last stretch to the summit can be brutal if there is significant wind as its full exposure and the terrain tends to funnel the wind right at you.

All good points.

I have been turned back at tree line on that mountain on 2 previous attempts due to high wind and white-out conditions. The forecast will be key to maybe picking an alternate (wooded) peak, as well as to whether or not I can even drive up there Sunday morning!

I am doing Baldpate on Saturday and need Moose and Adam's. I am probably going to show at Moose at around 9 on Sunday and see what it looks like. I have heard that it is the most broken out trail previously....if no cars are there then I am heading back to Mass!

Good luck on Baldpate on Saturday, the winds have been cranking all day up here and Baldpate is notorious for drifting in. I expect there will be fair share of trail breaking after the 10 to 12 inches we got yesterday.

9:00 AM Sunday sounds perfect. If anyone else wants to join please feel free to reply, or simply show up (though a reply here would be appreciated). The assumption is you have full winter gear and experience. This won't be a particularly strenuous hike, but physical fitness and winter skills are absolutely required.

I am WFA trained and MLS certified and I have my winter 48. I will be driving a grey subaru outback. I will pm you my #

More qualified than I!

I too will be driving a grey Subaru Outback...

The forecast for the region looks cooperative. I'm still not quite 100% certain of my ability get up there from Mass in the morning though. We are expecting sleet, ice, snow and rain. I should have a good idea how it will play out by dinner time...