Extreme Wind Video on Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
If you've seen this on another page my apologies for reposting. In light of yesterday's tragedy I thought I'd share this video. This was made on the deck of the Sherman Adams Building on Mount Washington, mere feet from the safety of the building. I volunteer at the Mount Washington Observatory on occasion and will return in a few weeks for another "shift" with the Obs crew. Through this association I have become friends with folks at the State Park who are often in charge of recovery in the Northern Presidentials. Listening to their stories chills my blood. I thank God there are men and women who are willing to risk their own lives to help those who despite their best efforts have fallen victim to the mountain gods. More than anything I hate the foolish comments that accompany such a tragedy. The fact is tragedy could befall anyone who enters the mountains in any season in any weather, we are fortunate in this community to have men and women who are willing to help despite the risks involved. It also irritates me to no end to hear people brag of being on so and so mountain and the wind was blowing 100mph. No it wasn't, or you'd have been pinned down with nothing to do but wait it out or die. I am 200+lbs in pretty good condition for a guy 56yo. This is me in sustained hurricane force winds above 75mph with gusts up to 86mph. Note I have no pack to act as a sail, and I am on level ground… I would also add that I am not exhausted or cold, I'm not lost and I'm not blinded by blowing snow… It has been argued that the weather instruments on the tower are 33' above and do not accurately reflect conditions at ground level. OK, for the sake of argument, let's cut the windspeed readings in half. This is me in 45mph winds…

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/Mus...32711/25593123_BQgw4W#!i=2111947589&k=QVqdt8x

KDT