PLB "Procedures" And SAR/F&G

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. You say the InReach SE uses an internal, rechargeable battery, *NOT* AAs. I consider this a giant "minus" for a piece of gear that I might depend on for safety. I can carry a spare set of Lithium AAs or AAAs, but what the heck do you do on the side of the mountain if your rechargeable battery drains? This is especially problematic with the InReach Explorer if you are using your "emergency messenger" as a GPS navigation device. I've had both my GPS and my InReach run their batteries out while in the backcountry (at different times). Being able to simply pop in a spare set makes me a lot happier.

Even though I'm an InReach user, I'd have to say that this is ANOTHER reason to choose the SPOT Satellite Messenger (AAAs) or SPOT Gen3 over the new InReach devices (the weight difference, and the 2:1 cost ratio, especially if you don't care about the battery-draining "tracking" feature, are the primary reasons).

Its very easy to keep a small light USB power pack in a plastic bag in your pack, even one which uses lithium AA cells. http://www.verbatim.com/article/compatibility-charts/

Even if you keep it turned on for your whole trip it lasts 4-5 days. If I read the data sheet correctly, that includes sending your position to a satellite every 10 minutes automatically. Personally, I keep mine off except to check for any incoming messages once in a while, and to send a self-test message when I start in an area with no coverage.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question...

If you're getting in over your head but have the ability to self-extricate, I'd do so. Once you're pretty sure you are going to need some help to get out alive and largely intact, even if you think you can make some progress, the advice I've always heard from SAR folks (including in my WFR training) is to pull the ripcord. I have seen nearly unanimous agreement that they'd rather get the call at 1pm to find somebody unhappy but intact, rather than get the callout at 5pm after four hours of deeper trouble and wasted daylight. Think about if the PLB activation last weekend had come at 1:30 instead of 3:30...

Once you send up the flare, nobody's going to complain if you move into a better situation (trees, snow cave), but otherwise you should try to stay put unless you are able to get reliable cell coverage out and state your plan--SAR is likely to still respond and try to meet you. ("I'm at Madison Hut and I'm going to try struggling down Valley Way as best I can.") Once they've arrived, communicate your resources and, if that changes, keep communicating! Don't be the dude who rode the litter all the way down with a "busted" ankle, then jumped off and walked to the ambulance.

When I leave a plan with my girlfriend (usually when I'm solo), I let her know approximately what I'm carrying and, in summer, that I'm equipped to spend an unexpected night out. The idea is that if she feels she has to make a call (which is a whole complicated protocol, overdue is different than known distress), the responders have some idea of how urgent the response may have to be. It's worth giving this information to the person who would be answering the "we have an activation, are they okay" call.

On a related note, Text-to-911 went live in NH last month. Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile only (all other carriers are required to handle by June 30). It's SMS not MMS, so no pictures, and no "cc'ing" anybody else! And finally, it's not E-911, so location information (GPS or tower) is not likely to be attached. But in areas of spotty service, it may be more reliable.

Thanks for that reply. My main concern was understanding what SAR is expecting me to do so I am not working against them in an activation situation. I will never be "that dude" you describe. I've walked out of the woods with a severely sprained ankle from Sphinx Col and a dislocated shoulder on Cannon before and would be mortified to be carried out if there was any way at all I could continue on my own.

In the event in November, my wife had called F&G advising how far behind schedule I was but she also indicated I was solo, I had a PLB which had not been activated and that I routinely carry "tons of shit" for every possible scenario. They were going to have a guy drive by the trailhead (I think a cop actually) I was parked at to see if my car was till there before they called out the cavalry. I was able to reach her 5 minutes after that so she called back and they wound up doing nothing. Ironically and coincidentally, while I was road walking the Kanc back to trail head a guy stopped to offer me a ride because it was pouring out and dark. I initially declined because I was wet and muddy and didn't want to get his car filthy but he circled back around and offered again so I took him up on it. Turns out he was a rescue worker out of Conway who was heading to town for dinner. I only had 3/4 mile left to my car but man I appreciated that ride!