Sidecut of Ski/Broken and Unbroken Snowshoe trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have now done back to back pemi traverses. My first 2weeks ago and last weekend. First time it was 4feet of unconsolidated sugar in which my 181 glittertinds were too short and were postholing with every kick and glide. I was kicking myself for leaving 185 Madshus Epochs in the car. Last weekend I brought Epochs and left 210 narrow wax skis in the car. I also packed snowshoes. Although the trail was now broken it was still soft and full of spruce traps. The snowshoes were postholing and not a significant improvement so I switched back to skis for majority of the trail.

I think I will be sporting the 210s next season with auxiliary snowshoes just in case. ��

I have now done back to back pemi traverses. My first 2weeks ago and last weekend. First time it was 4feet of unconsolidated sugar in which my 181 glittertinds were too short and were postholing with every kick and glide. I was kicking myself for leaving 185 Madshus Epochs in the car. Last weekend I brought Epochs and left 210 narrow wax skis in the car. I also packed snowshoes. Although the trail was now broken it was still soft and full of spruce traps. The snowshoes were postholing and not a significant improvement so I switched back to skis for majority of the trail.

I think I will be sporting the 210s next season with auxiliary snowshoes just in case. ��

I'm 220 pounds without a pack. I have been grateful for every centimeter of my 195 Annums this winter. But then, I cut my teeth on 215 cm Bonnas. :)

One of the "fun" aspects of that run is that one may not be able to predict the snow conditions deep in the BC from conditions near the trailheads...

I've skied into the deep Pemi 3 times:
* 1st time (solo lollipop) was predictable: rain a few days earlier followed by a cold snap and 4-5in of new snow. Waxable skis worked well--deep base with good flotation and easy trail breaking. (I waited for good conditions and pounced...) Started on green wax and went through the waxes in order to purple as the temps warmed up. (Pemi-bridge was still in place which was a big help.)
* 2nd time (lollipop): hardpack at the trailhead--started on waxless skis, ended up waxing them for efficiency after we got onto the TFT. Good flotation, easy breaking. Good snow except for the East Side Road. (Pemi-bridge had been murdered.)
* 3nd time (N-S traverse via SPT): packed all the way to the beginning of the SPT with new light snow around 30F--waxless. Good snow on the SPT turned into breakable crust over deep powder and I ended up struggling with a very weak kick. Wax helped, but the snow was too abrasive for it to last very long. (In 20-20 hindsight, I should have put my kicker skins on.) Flotation OK.

So the snow was only predictable on one of the three trips and good (at least far from the trailhead) on two of the trips.. All done with approx 65/55/60mm skis.

You plan the best you can and it is still a potluck...

Doug