Trail up Jefferson Ravine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb671987

Reaction score
Hello, Does anyone know if there has ever been a designated, blazed trail up Jefferson Ravine? If so, do you have the approximate years it was in use during and/or rough date the trail was officially abandoned? I was just admiring how it is such a beautiful area yet does not contain a single trail anywhere near its upper basin floor or central headwall (I am only aware of the long abandoned Adams Slide Trail that used to run a roughly direct line from Buttress/Six Husbands Junction to Mt Adams Summit way down barely on the lower basin of Jefferson Ravine). The headwall does appear to be nearly the same vertical elevation gain as Tuckerman Ravine and looks to be quite substantial (anyone who has bushwhacked up this can probably provide much more detail). I don't have any historical guidebooks or similar to easily access this type of information.

Thanks for any info

No, there has never been a trail up the headwall of Jefferson Ravine. None appear on maps back to the 1870s. One early source describes the ravine as "seldom visited" although apparently some people did climb it as a rough alternate route to Washington via Jefferson.

There is some interesting ravines and drainages on both sides of the ridgeline between Jefferson to Washington. It good to have "dark places" on the map for those folks who have the skills and want the extra challenge. I expect of the few who do these trips most don't post trip reports

There is some interesting ravines and drainages on both sides of the ridgeline between Jefferson to Washington. It good to have "dark places" on the map for those folks who have the skills and want the extra challenge. I expect of the few who do these trips most don't post trip reports

IME, even the sections with trails are pretty gnarly! I imagine the challenge of the non-trailed ascents to be pretty high. Kudos to those with the skill and desire to travel in those parts. I recall looking into Jefferson Ravine from the Edmonds Col Cutoff and thinking how steep and rough it was!