Day Pond North and South Loops - 2/27/2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 2-27-2015

Trail Conditions: packed snowshoe trail, north has some footprints in it, none too deep, maybe 6-10 inches tops. South Loop is better packed and the road look to be in better shape than the north also, thanks to a snowmobile or two/

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes highly recommended, kids and lighter people with bigger feet might not post-hole.

Comments: What a difference a month makes. On 1/22 these were my comments and no equipment was needed.

(1/22 -Was not going to add this TR but no recent CT activity. Since 1/22 CT has received 2-7 inches depending on the location. By 1/28, we may be under 1-2 feet of snow and snowshoes will be required. have also been in other locations in Colchester and South Windsor which had the same conditions and will require snowshoes or skis. In Central CT, first packed out hills are Talcott Mt. and Penwood. Will see what the shoreline gets after the Pats and Seahawks)

Shoreline still not bare but some mixed weather and rain expected in the first few days of March. Will look at shoreline spots like Rocky Neck and Bluff Point mid-month if I can. Day Pond and Colchester's shorter flatter Ruby Cohen trails are packed out. Finally found something I liked about my automatic. (had been in sticks from 2003-2014) Went from Day Pond to Ruby Cohen & only took off the right MSR as I only needed one foot. :D :eek:

Mike P.
[email protected]