M & S Carter via Dodge, Imp, N Carter, Carter-Moriah, C Dome and 19 M Brk Trl-2/28/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
M & S Carter via Dodge, Imp, N Carter, Carter-Moriah, C Dome and 19 M Brk Trl-2/28/15

Date of Hike: 2/28/15

Trails: Dodge Cutoff, Imp, North Carter, Carter-Moriah, Carter Dome and 19 Mile Book Trails

Conditions: All trails are pretty well broken out, but that does not mean that they are hard-packed. Dodge Cutoff is very easy to find, but keep an eye out for the turn onto the Imp trail, because the cutoff very obviously keeps on going and is much wider than the Imp Trail corridor (keep an eye out for the yellow blazes). The Imp and North Carter Trails are steep (‘nuff said). The Carter-Moriah trail has a deep pack of snow so that you are floating above the blazes, which also means that you are floating in the tree-tops. Much of the traverse along the ridge was made slow-going because you have to step-over or crawl-under the tree branches. The trails up until to the South Carter summit showed evidence that people had been using their snowshoes, but then some yahoo decided to bare-boot down off of the South Carter summit. He or she tore up the trail something fierce. There are horrible postholes on the Carter-Moriah trail from S. Carter to Zeta Pass and continuing on down the Carter Dome Trail. The 19 Mile Brook Trail is so well-traveled that it has become pretty consolidated so that no post-holes show, and it’s smooth sailing out to the road.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes. Snowshoes. Snowshoes. Bring your Snowshoes and wear them!

Comments: I met some very nice people today. 2 solo men were doing the same loop the opposite way, and I chatted with them briefly on the ridge. On the way down Carter Dome towards the end of the day I met a young guy headed up with an awesome sled, who was also doing the same loop opposite way, whom I advised of the trail conditions. And lastly I met 2 older guys headed my way and we had a great chat about SPOTs. If any of them are reading this – “HI”.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

47/48 W-NH 48