TSL Symbioz Elite Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerMouth61

Reaction score
In the 'burbs a few miles north of Boston.
Does anyone have experience with these snowshoes? TSL Symbioz Elite Snowshoes
I wasn't able to find any useful reviews online.

I want a snowshoe for hiking the NH4Ks. The ones I used for Washington and Wildcat A did not have aggressive crampons or riser bar and I had to work harder than people with MSR Lightning Ascents.

Given that they appear to have only been on sale this winter they may not have much of a reputation. Over the years on VFTT its usually takes one or two full seasons for durability issues to surface unless there are real obvious issues out of the box. We have had a "normal" snowfall winter in the whites (please note we had a couple of abnormally low snow winters in prior years that spoiled the winter hiking community) and its the low snow years that seem to really pound on snowshoes. Therefore this winter may not be a hard year on snowshoes and thus the reviews may be great . As an example , it took about two low snow winters for MSR Lightning Ascents to go from the "best snow shoe by far" acclaim to "somewhat fragile for the whites" on VFTT. Several members had their broken lightnings replaced with the prior Denali Pro which have a more bombproof but not completely bombproof reputation. Thus in buying TSLs you may become an involuntary product tester in the whites where good shoeshoes on occasion go to die. The TSLs claim to be made in VT which is plus but their website history section states "All TSL Snowhoes are produced and designed in France" so I am curious on the extent of the local production and how long they will be here to answer the phone.

I personally like a rigid snow shoe that can be kicked into a crusty slope to climb up it, the TSLs design appears to be great for walking but the flexibility would appear to be less good for kicking in steps.

MSR is reportedly considering bringing back the Denali Pro next year and Mountaineer in the ADKs still had some stock so they may be an alternative. Considering they are just about the standard in the whites its hard to justify going with a unknown.

I think the top three brands by loyalty and use on VFTT and what I have personally witnessed are:

1. MSR (Evos, Lightnings, Denalis)
2. Tubbs (FlexAlp)
3. Atlas (distant third)

This is just my opinion with no real data to back it up :) There are some diehard fans of 'boutique' shoes as well. The major take away in any discussion is to keep to the same width shoe as everyone else (8-8.5 x 22-30) or else you won't readily fit in the track.

Tim

Can't vouch for their utility in real life, but I've seen them in the shop and those Symbioz look awesome. I like the aggressive crampons and the flexible deck, which I think would be great on uneven surfaces. I'm going to see if my local shop offers trials or rentals on that model.

Track width was one of reasons I stop using my Tubbs, they were about 1"wider so I always catching the edge of the track. Plus they didn't have televators

MSR REVO and the field test

Given that they appear to have only been on sale this winter they may not have much of a reputation. Over the years on VFTT its usually takes one or two full seasons for durability issues to surface unless there are real obvious issues out of the box. We have had a "normal" snowfall winter in the whites (please note we had a couple of abnormally low snow winters in prior years that spoiled the winter hiking community) and its the low snow years that seem to really pound on snowshoes. Therefore this winter may not be a hard year on snowshoes and thus the reviews may be great . As an example , it took about two low snow winters for MSR Lightning Ascents to go from the "best snow shoe by far" acclaim to "somewhat fragile for the whites" on VFTT. Several members had their broken lightnings replaced with the prior Denali Pro which have a more bombproof but not completely bombproof reputation. Thus in buying TSLs you may become an involuntary product tester in the whites where good shoeshoes on occasion go to die. The TSLs claim to be made in VT which is plus but their website history section states "All TSL Snowhoes are produced and designed in France" so I am curious on the extent of the local production and how long they will be here to answer the phone.

I personally like a rigid snow shoe that can be kicked into a crusty slope to climb up it, the TSLs design appears to be great for walking but the flexibility would appear to be less good for kicking in steps.

MSR is reportedly considering bringing back the Denali Pro next year and Mountaineer in the ADKs still had some stock so they may be an alternative. Considering they are just about the standard in the whites its hard to justify going with a unknown.

I so agree that it takes at least two seasons to really know. I went for the REVO's and while I like them, I agree we don't really know if they will hold up. Worked great but had a televator issue and they are sending me new shoes.

The Mountaineer has a bunch of EVO Ascents. the Denali's are rentals, I think.

what track ?
The snowshoe track you find on most trails (to the 4Ks in NH anyway) within 24 hours of any snowfall. It's usually made by 8 or 8.5 inch wide shoes. Going with wider shoes means you don't fit easily into that track.

Tim

That was sarcasm, Tim, sorry.

But the OP did say he/she wants a snow shoes for the NH48 so your track width comment is on point.

Much like the current discussions on BC skis, there are different horses for different courses.

I don't feel like I am winter backpacking until I am off those tracks and breaking trail. I wouldn't want to be doing that with anything less then my 9x30.

Plenty of times I wished I had 10x30s or some bear paws.