weather forecast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I`ve been using "MOUNTAIN FORECAST.COM" for weather reports in the days leading up to my next planned hikes. Are there any other reliable websites that I can use for good reports? Thanks for any info.

A generally reliable but somewhat conservative regional forecast for the northern whites is the Fairbanks Museum in Saint Johnsbury http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/forecasts#df. Most of the other forecasts tend to be focused along the coastal plains and are not very good at factoring in the blocking effect of the mountains.

By the way, every forecast I have seen for this weekend is a mix of rain and snow with the dividing line being the mountains. I expect there are many folks pushing to get in the last weekend of winter to finish off lists and they will be encountering potentially sloppy conditions, at least its cold enough that the snow pack shouldn't break down and cause streams to break up.

If any of you have a grip on the weather for the weekend at hand, do let the NWS know. They've been waffling with this particular one more than an IHOP franchisee. I can't recall a situation this winter that has had them this flummoxed so close to the event. :confused::confused::confused::confused: :)

Last edited:
If any of you have a grip on the weather for the weekend at hand, do let the NWS know. They've been waffling with this particular one more than an IHOP franchisee. I can't recall a situation this winter that has had them this flummoxed so close to the event. :confused::confused::confused::confused: :)
Increasing light towards day break followed by daylight with falling H2O molecules of varying composition most likely followed by increasing darkness and eventual total darkness after sunset.

I second this vote. I generally follow Mountain-forecast.com for general reference to what is in store. As I'm closer to the actual hike day I use the NOAA. You can click on the map and get a forecast box in the area and general altitude you'll be. Then you can click on the table feature and get a graph of pretty much every weather metric which makes for a handy 1 page reference. I usually stash a copy with my map.

Then you can click on the table feature and get a graph of pretty much every weather metric which makes for a handy 1 page reference. I usually stash a copy with my map.

Curious... do you ever refer to it while hiking? My thinking is that it's paper, so it hasn't changed since the morning when I printed it, and it was good enough for my plan then... I do like the smartphone for weather radar in the summer when there looks like a chance of thunderstorms.

Tim