Saddleback and the Horn 3/14/2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
The road to get from NH to ME, on route 16, was a series of 30 miles of frost heaves! (decided to leave by 17 then 2 instead and 17 was worse!)
The trail up to the top of Saddleback was groomed and snowshoes were a must!! At the top of the ski trail look for a small side trail, right next to the to shack, to get to the false summit, once you see a post with no sign on it look north and you will see the actual summit with the sign on it.....it is a small downhill, popping back up about a tenth of a mile away, all ice and rocks. Everything on the open summit on both peaks is ice!! After reaching the summit we headed straight for the Horn, there is a very steep icy ledge and stepping off to the left (or west) to descend will take a bit of the "edge" off. Quickly you hit the spruce and the chest high snow drifts!! We found an old set of snowshoe tracks and tried to follow them. At points we had to wing it, which isn't a bad thing on the icy parts because you can see the cairns and follow them. In the deep sags it is best to try to seek out the tracks!! But be aware that the people before us had fallen into spruce traps and so did we, watch for our large gaping holes!! When side stepping be very careful not to fall through yourself (same spruce-different hole)!! After reaching the summit of Saddleback and then back to the top of the ski area (pole with no sign) it was a little interesting to find the short "trail" back to the ski lift....perhaps we weren't paying close attention, that's why I mention it in here. The drive there was much longer than the hike!! It took me 5.5 hours to drive there from Western Massachusetts and only 3.5 to bag 2 peaks....it's all good. I must mention that the views there are spectacular, 360 degrees of mountains and sky.....great day on Saddleback!

Saddleback is now charging a $10 user fee for the first time this year. The warming hut at the top of the Green Weaver (which is the trail the ski area recommends hikers on snowshoes use) is a great spot to have a snack either coming or going.

I hiked Saddleback on Sunday in white out conditions, and came back On Monday to finish the trek to The Horn.
No sign of any tracks I got swallowed up in many traps. Found the trail twice through the pines and it was a blessing.
Absolutely beautiful views. I hiked up Grey Ghost which was the more direct ski trial. And yes $10 uphill access pass required
along with signing a waiver for each ski season. Still one of the best hikes in Maine IMHO

It was a beautiful hike, lots of uphill on a ski mountain! Did you ever get Sugarloaf to Abraham?? I am going up Saturday to start of the Sugarloaf side....no car to spot so I will aim for Spaulding and if I were to turn into Supergirl perhaps I could get Abraham and come back??

Yup Finished, did it in two hikes. Sugarloaf and Spaulding out and back and Abraham out and back
I just need the three peaks in Baxter for my winter 115. It will be a long wait until next winter. Goodluck with Sugarloaf Spaulding and Abe.
They are not difficult hikes except I did have a hard time finding the trail down off of Sugarloaf, but I have never hiked in Maine until this winter
so there was a big learning curve. Have a great time.