Nighttime Full-moon Winter Presi Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgagne99

Reaction score
Posting this to try to find out if it has ever been done before...

On the night of March 6/7, two friends of mine completed a Nighttime, Full-moon, Winter Presi Traverse. They went up Valley Way, tagged Madison, and continued south over all the major summits, including Jackson, descending via the Webster/Jackson trail. Total time was 17 hours, and they never turned on a headlamp. They had been waiting for many years for the right conditions to attempt this rather unique hike. Considering there are only 3-4 full moons per winter season, and that the weather needs to be good (clear skies, not too cold, low wind, etc.). This is a rather difficult combination of conditions to achieve, especially since clear skies and (relatively) warm temps are generally at odds, especially in wintertime. They reported that temperatures were around 0F and winds were estimated 30-40 mph. While the hike wasn't on the precise date of the full moon (March 5), they feel it close enough to call it a "full moon" hike.

Does anyone know if anyone else has ever completed a Presi Traverse under these unique set of conditions (night time, winter, full-moon)?

I believe it has been done and there was a trip report on VFTT but I am not sure if it was pre or post crash. I seem to remember some pretty wild photos of moonrise

Nevertheless a significant achievement no matter how many folks have done it.