anyone skied Moosilauke lately?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
anyone skied Moosilauke lately? Thinking to go up brook and ski down carriage this weekend.

Yes. Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Interesting on the width of the carriage road. For some reason I thought it would be wider. I have only hiked Moosilauke once. It was a winter hike but I continued (north?) on a longer loop and did not take the carriage road.

Here's a report from last Friday - http://tomkeefer.blogspot.com/2015/02/touring-mt-moosilauke-with-adam.html

I assume you mean up Gorge Brook and down Carriage Road to Snapper and back to the Lodge?

What do you think about skiing further down and cutting over via Hurricane?

Yes. Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Interesting on the width of the carriage road. For some reason I thought it would be wider. I have only hiked Moosilauke once. It was a winter hike but I continued (north?) on a longer loop and did not take the carriage road.

Hurricane is likely to be difficult to follow and could be a bit of a mess. It doesn't get much use, especially in winter, and it's not maintained with skiing in mind. Also, being lower you might have wetter spots and difficult stream crossings.

The CR is fairly wide in the section from the snowmobile trap below South Peak to the junction with the Snapper trail. Above that it's pretty narrow. Below Snapper it's not as wide but still fairly easy to get some turns in. It's fairly low angle so the best turns are actually cutting off some of the switchbacks in the trees, but they're not trimmed so it's pretty thwacky.

Gorge Brook and Snapper are fairly narrow in places - if you like wider trails you may want to just ski the Carriage Road all the way from Breezy Point.

Speaking of people who are somewhere they shouldn't be:

"We came across a guy and his son who thought it would be a good idea to snowmobile up the carrage rd to the summit. But they only made it half way between s. Peak and the main peak."

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=20492

:(
They were probably friends with the guy whom was hiking with sneakers and the handbag. They probably got a call from him on their Cell phone as he was looking for a ride down from the summit.

In the old days folks would snowmobile to the summit all the time. Dartmouth didn't want them to but there was little they could do to stop them. You'd often find tracks on the summit. When the DOC rebuilt the Carriage Road in the early 90's we worked with the local snowmobile club to have them self-police the snowmobilers and there have been very few of them entering into the AT corridor since then. You still get a few from time to time, especially in a good snow year, but the numbers are way down. And, since it's not getting used much you often get situations like this where someone gets stuck. That lessens the appeal of the adventure quite a bit.