Tecumseh from Waterville Valley - 3/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: March 18th, 2015

Trail Conditions: Ice at initial crossing did crack as 260 + hiker, pack included crossed it with snowshoes trying to avoid rocks. Easily crossed on rocks though. Trail well backed but in places with Wednesday and Thursday's wind, drifts covered sections. Worst up high but also after crossing the small Ravine just before the look out on the lower section of the ski trail. No blowdowns to speak of, a little tight along the top as you are beginning to walk in the canopy. The right part of the loop (on the way up) has not been in used in a while.

Special Equipment Required: warm wind-proof clothing as the wind was unavoidable, even on a wooded peak like Tecumseh. I used my MSR's all the way. Saw three others who barebooted with little post holing seen. Garry's snowshoes did not have great traction and he slipped a few times wearing them so he switched to Micro-spikes.

Comments: - A very cold windy day, coldest either of us had been in a while when factoring both the cold and the wind. Hard to keep my hands warm. We both agreed that had we been on Pierce we would have stuck our heads out at treeline & opted not to have finished the short distance in the wide open. Tecumseh was about the limit of our desire today.

Mike P. & Garry G.

[email protected]

Last edited: