Wildcats via 19 Mile Brook, Wildcat Ridge, Polecat (21 March 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail conditions: 19 Mile Brook was its usual snow sidewalk. Traction not necessary on low parts although microspikes would give some traction on the more moderate parts. I put them on after the Carter Dome Trail junction. The trail up Wildcat A from the pond has a few options. Stay left given a choice and watch for blazes. You can follow the path to the right. I did. After it petered out, I bushwhacked hard left uphill until I came out on the summit. Could have been worse but I earned it that way. Picked up the ridge trail after enjoying the viewpoint. I had put snowshoes on for the BW up to the ridge and kept them on the rest of the day. Trails broken out and easy other than heading up to peak 'A.'

Equipment: I hiked in base layers most of the day including the BW. Put on a fleece periodically but never wore a second layer of pants. Could have used skis on Polecat, although that is a heck of a quad workout if you keep pace moving down.

Comments: a stunning first full day of spring. As I write this, we are back to 6 F though...