Hats off to the Forest Rangers!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Was up on Algonquin yesterday (cold and windy) and it was hard not to be aware of what was clearly a MASSIVE SAR effort that ultimately lead to the rescue of a mother and her two sons from high on Mount Marcy.

Not interested in the armchair QBing that many love to do. Just want to say job well done.

https://www.facebook.com/newzjunky/posts/840423002682509

Last edited:
26 Rangers responded in shifts. They are amazing and we are VERY lucky to have the most dedicated and experienced S&R. Amazing story....what were they thinking!!

How was Algonquin??? soo jealous!

Clear, cold, windy. About 8 inches to a foot of fresh untrodden snow past the Wright/Algonquin split. When I was signing in, an outbound hiker mentioned that he had gotten pinned down for awhile on Boundary during Saturday's storm. Can only imagine the night the Mom and her two boys endured.

Clear, cold, windy. About 8 inches to a foot of fresh untrodden snow past the Wright/Algonquin split. When I was signing in, an outbound hiker mentioned that he had gotten pinned down for awhile on Boundary during Saturday's storm. Can only imagine the night the Mom and her two boys endured.

Agree! They will have a story to share!

"Rescuers launched such a large response because of the age of the children, the time of day, the weather and terrain, Forest Ranger Captain John Streif said. It was the largest rescue team since at least December 2012 when an ice climber was saved on Nippletop Mountain. (...)The mother, Ning Cai, and her two sons, ages 7 and 11, were helicoptered off the summit at about 11 am Sunday. They suffered cold-related injuries."

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2015/03/huge-rescue-operation-saves-family-on-marcy.html

Regardless of the decisions that got them into that fix, once they were up against it the mom did have what it took to get herself and the kids through the night. Under those conditions it could have ended a LOT worse.

So true.

I particularly enjoyed the report about the Mom digging a snow trench and having her kids do jumping jacks to stay warm. 10/10.

I heard a lot of chopper activity, but my timing was off to witness the rescue from afar. I do remember thinking as I saw the posse of Ranger vehicles a little before 3 PM on my way out that they've only got a few hours left or whoever they're looking for is dead for sure. Of course, as it turns out, everyone was safe by then. Thankfully the gods blessed the effort with clear conditions.

Last edited:
"Of course, as it turns out, everyone was safe by then."

Safe as in out of the woods, yes, but not without, sadly, long term consequences for the children. Obviously summit fever can make a caring mother make terrible decisions she will likely regret, and see, for the rest of her life!

"Of course, as it turns out, everyone was safe by then."

Safe as in out of the woods, yes, but not without, sadly, long term consequences for the children. Obviously summit fever can make a caring mother make terrible decisions she will likely regret, and see, for the rest of her life!

'Cold related injuries' is kind of vague, but what else can go wrong other than frostbite? Hypothermia doesn't seem like an injury to me.