Sleepers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, The Upper Downes Brook trail is one of the last trails to melt out in the whites, it can be post hole city in late spring (been there, done that, and don't want to do it again)

Those trails in that area have tons of river crossings too. I'd think once the melt gets under way they'd be difficult or impassable for awhile. I did that trail this past fall and I think there were 10-12 true river crossings, the first 5-6 being significant, as well as some other brooks (and water levels were pretty low day I did). I'd keep an eye ball on the USGS River Flow data before I ventured out there at this time of year. May have to bushwhack along the bank where you can to avoid some of the crossings.

I am aware of the amount of river crossings, just curious of "present" conditions. May opt going up Blueberry Ledge.

Steams are still frozen in the Whites, but this is likely to change with rain and warm weather forecast for the next week.

Coming in over Whiteface has a whole lot less for stream crossings.

When I hit East Sleeper for the 100 (snow free several Junes ago), I went up Blueberry Ledge. The trip down and back up to Whiteface is very gradual, one of the easiest cols to get in and out of in the Whites, IMO.

There was a recent trip report on New England Trail Conditions of an overnight using Downes Brook.
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=20403

Sounds nice! As long as those bridges hold it should be fun. Even if not... ;) You could always loop it with the Tri's too for an extra challenge.

The difference between Downs Brook trail head and the Blueberry Ledge trail head is about 40 miles and an hour of driving, so depending on where one is coming from, spending a couple extra hours on the trail might be preferred. :)

Last edited:
We decided to hike up Blueberry Ledge and all was well even the steep ledges were easily passable. Trails to Sleepers are now well broken out. Met a solo hiker who came up Downes Brook and one river crossing was difficult.