Car camping this weekend in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPMMBM

Reaction score
remind me, please, where can I car camp (willing to pay for a site) somewhere between Franconia Notch and Crawford Notch this time of year?

If you mean literally between Franconia and Crawford (i.e., north of both notches), the only thing that comes to mind is Lafayette Place. Very unpleasant in winter: the outhouse door often freezes, and without the leaves on the trees you'll be listening to trucks all night. I presume dispersed camping on Haystack Rd. is still legit, but it's a hike in. In the general area, the Hancock site on the Kanc, across from Lincoln Woods, is open year-round, and there's the walk-in Fourth Iron site roughly across from Sawyer River Road.

I agree with Brian that SubSig is totally the way to go. Heated bunk room AND a heated outhouse.

If you're willing to be south of Franconia Notch, Hancock Campground is open year-round.

And there is a heated bathroom, sink, potable water and big stall for changing into / out of street clothes very close by at lincoln woods.

A bit pricey ...24 bucks per night tho...