Reflection on/in the Ten Essentials

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
From Norway comes this suggestion to add a reflective vest to your pack. If you need someone to rescue you, it can make a big difference at night. The video at the link demonstrates this for both night vision-equipped helicopter crews and ground searchers. Even though helicopters don't play the same role in the forested Northeast as elsewhere, it's still a good idea to have one with you.

Fjellvett regel nr. 10

There was a helicopter rescue on Marcy just a few days ago. Rather than a reflective vest, I'd like to see some company add reflective stripes on their outer wear, (maybe some already do?), but thanks for shining a light on this! :D

There is reflective tape you can attach to just about anything firm, not fleece, wool etc. Whether it sticks or not is another question but even if it wears off quickly, it may be preferable and cheaper than replacing a favorite layer. I make a point to have bright colored layers so I'll be easier to find when I wander off ...

Volvo (the car company) is just introducing a paint that is reflective, it can be used on clothing. I just saw this on a news scroll this am and I don't know much about it.
http://www.volvolifepaint.com/

I also agree that the manufacturers should consider including a reflective strip on gear (think backpack) Really good reflective material is amazing, I have seen some examples on motorcycle gear while driving at night on the highway-it is impressive how visible really good reflective strips can be.

I have a few strips of reflective tape on my ski pole. Helps my visibility after dark without having to deploy some other piece of gear And waving the pole increases visibility more if required.

I put reflective stickers on the battery packs of my headlamps that have back-of-the-head battery packs. They enable someone who is following at a distance to keep track of you. (Some Petzl headlamps used to include a built-in reflector.)

Sheets of reflective stickers are available at bike stores. Eg: http://www.rei.com/product/680649/nathan-cycling-stick-ons

Sometimes I carry a reflective safety band, particularly if I anticipate an after-dark road walk: http://www.rei.com/product/543017/jogalite-wide-leg-band-15-inches

And bike stores also sell a variety of reflective vests.

Doug

This probably belongs more in the paddle section, but many paddle instructors on Long Island sound recommend putting reflective tape on your paddles so you dont get stomped on by a boat. However, when I take these paddles to Cape Cod, at least twice power boats have approached me quickly thinking I was signaling for assistance as my strokes produced a flashing pattern.

So I would say that whatever you do, dont use anything reflective in such a way that it might trigger a unnecessary call for aid.

If anyone wants to pursue the paddle discussion lets take it over to that forum.