Mt. Tecumseh via the Mt. Tecumseh Tr. (Waterville side) - 3/29/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 3/29/15

Trails: Mt. Tecumseh Trail

Conditions: Firm, hard-packed snow allowing for bare-booting. No postholing, not even deep footprints, as long as you remained in the center of the trail. Stepping off-trail though (to let someone pass) left me thigh-deep in snow! The corridor is very well-groomed, except for where the trail cuts across a slope near to the summit and becomes narrow and a bit tangled in brush (a really tough place to pass), and one big blowdown at the bottom, easy to step over.

Special Equipment Required: The snow on some of the more exposed slopes has iced over so some sort of traction is recommended

Comments: There were lots of people climbing Tecumseh today. Stopped and had a nice long chat with a guy close to finishing his grid (nice to meet you)! The tiny summit area was full of people enjoying the sunshine and views. I didn’t stay long as I wanted to get ahead of the groups and sled down. I tried to be respectful as I passed – I hope no one was worried or offended as I passed them on my sled – I don’t want to give sledders a bad reputation. But, gosh, it is so much fun to hurtle down the mountain on a Missile sled. All-in-all a great hike.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu