North and Middle Tripyramid via Pine Bend Brook and Tripyramid Trails (3 April 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Both Pine Bend Brook and Tripyramid had a snowshoe track and sporadic postholes. No monorail yet. Snow was soft and only softened through the warming day. There were plenty of downed trees, most of them just a minor inconvenience but a few requiring going around. Most of the crossings are no longer bridged. Crossings were easy but the snowshoes could be problematic on the rock and bare ground in spots.

Special Equipment: snowshoes were necessary to stay afloat, probably more so now than ever. I barebooted to near the wilderness boundary but by then the snow was soft enough to need snowshoes. They stayed on the rest of the day. I carried microspikes but never used them. Sunglasses helped with bright sun and snow glare. I would have worn shorts if I had brought them with me. Base layers were all that was needed in the warmth.

Comments: perfect spring conditions day. Warm, sunny, no wind, snowshoes. Hard to beat. Came across a group of three and one of two. The pair may have had some trouble on the way out as I don't think they had snowshoes, and in a few spots, I was postholing in MSRs on the way out. Enjoyed a few good glissades on the descent. April conditions are starting. Trails will be breaking up soon I imagine.