Cobble Mountain - Abandoned Ski Area 5-4-2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
The intention was to hike Hedgehog Mountain, but the closer we got to the White Mountains the more conditions started to deteriorate. First the party sunny skies turned to mostly cloudy, then the flurries started. By exit 27 on RT 93, the road was covering and the skies were getting darker, there was also a sign warning of snow covered roads ahead. Seeing how Hedgehog was on 52WAV, we decided to abort and took the exit. Probably a good thing as the exit ramp was extremely slippery. :mad:
Heading back down 93, we were trying to come up with a Plan B. We got off at RT 3 and started looking for something to do. Soon we saw a sign for Gunstock and remembered we wanted to hike Cobble someday, that day turned out to be today.
Cobble Mountain had a ski slope on it back in 1940, but due to subpar snow that year and it’s distance from the lodge, it was only operated for one season. The footings from the 1750’ rope tow still remain there today.
Getting to the summit and the remains involve using cross country ski trails and bushwhacking. There are many trails for the skiers including one that looks like a super skier highway. There is snow making and lights also on that trail.
Staying carefully off to the side of the trail so not to damage the trails we worked our way along until we started our bushwhack. There are areas that are still hard packed, but other areas that are starting to get soft, but not soft enough to require the snowshoe we carried with us the whole way.
The remains of the rope tow are just below the summit and there is a sign that someone posted with blue arrows leading to them. We approached the summit to the left of the remains and had walked right by them, then saw the sign that pointed the way. There are limited artifacts that we saw, but there is still a lot of snow cover too. Leaving the remains, we bushwhacked straight down looking for more artifacts and did find another footing and an old storage chest.
Overall it was a nice hike, but a quick one the vertical gain is only 473’. We had nice blue skies unlike what we would have had on Hedgehog I’m sure.

I skied the Cobble Mtn. Trail a couple of Sundays ago. Combined with the Maple Trail and a few connecting segments of other Trails, it makes a nice loop from the XC Center - a good cardio workout ascending Cobble and big fun descending Maple.

I was back at Gunstock on Saturday for downhill and was surprised to see the Nordic Center still open, which must be rare for April. If I'd had my XC skis and boots, I would have done that instead. The downhill trails were all mashed potatoes - too much work.

Great Plan B folks. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I really enjoy your videos. Thank you for taking us all off the beaten path while spicing it up with a sense of humor. You guys must hang out with Bill Green and/or Fritz Wetherbee.

Amicus: Sunday was an Easter Egg Hunt at Gunstock and the place was filling up fast. We only saw one couple XC skiing on Cobble, so it was a lot more peaceful where we were. :D The trails still looked to be in great condition.

skiguy: We are glad you enjoy the videos. We enjoy going to the off the beaten path places just to see what is there. How did you know we hung out with Bill and Fritz, they were here for dinner Saturday night? LOL