How We Got Safely Out of White-Out Winter Conditions Above Tree Line - Share Stories

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the storms increasing in ferocity, the ice to water ratio began to swing not in our favor. Soon after, The Karluk, our home and only protection from the perils of the Arctic, became locked into the ice. While not totally unexpected, it happened earlier in the season than we planned. We hunkered down for what was surely to be a long winter.

A misconception is that ice is stable. It’s not, especially sea ice. It shifts and cracks and flows all the time, and the sounds that emanate are horrifying. Loud pops, bangs, and thunderous roars became our norm. With every jolt, we prayed that wasn’t the one to take us into the cold depths below.

As the ice flowed West, we drifted further from the shore. We had enough provisions to last for some time, but we feared not for the entire winter. The expedition leader decided to lead a hunting party to come back with whatever kills they could find. While the party was out, the ice shifted again, and we moved dozens of miles a day further West, further from the shore. It was evident those in the party would not be able to find us, should they ever return. Those left behind began to wonder…was it ever in the leader’s mind to return at all?

Then, after several days lead into weeks of the entrapment, our night was wakened with a loud shudder, then a cannon-like blast. Water gushed through the hull. Panicked, while several tried to save the ship by pumping out the water, it was no match for the gaping hole. The order was given to abandon ship, and activity moved to saving what we could onto the sea ice. Trapped in the Arctic, with little food in a white out blizzard, the remaining party silently watched their home slip into the icy abyss below.

We then concentrated on how we were to get out of this predicament….which meant the long march to solid ground before the spring melts came. The nearly two dozen survivors dwindled over the winter, as parties were sent out, with not many returning. We finally reached land, more than 6 months after being locked into our icy doom. Our journey to survival was not over.

The land we were on was harsh, barely habitable. We survived on the occasional bird we killed. More died while we waited. One brave sole marched over 700 miles, passing through several native villages before reaching an encampment who could assist. He battled through -50 degree temperatures; snowdrifts measured in meters, not feet; and hurricane force winds. He returned nearly two months later, having secured a whaling ship, to pick up the remaining survivors.

I'll defer to many others here with extensive experience but I believe lithium ion batteries last longer than regular and/or rechargeable batteries in cold weather. I use rechargeable batteries and on a freshly charged set I can go all day with non stop use (8-12 hrs) in temps 0 deg and above without the batteries dying. Not sure how much faster the charge goes in extreme cold. While not as accurate, I'll keep the GPS in a pants pocket versus hanging loose on a pack strap when I Winter hike.

The last time I used my GPS in extreme winter conditions, it wasn't the batteries that suffered from the cold as much as it was the screen. The LCD display was horribly sluggish to respond and very hard to read. Luckily, the GPS was just a back up navigation tool since we had sufficient visibility to stick to the trail. This was an older Garmin unit. Newer displays might do better in extreme cold. I toyed with the idea of building an external battery pack so I could keep the batteries next to my body and warm while storing the GPS in the top of my pack for better reception. However, the poor screen performance in the cold made this option less desirable.

On a descent ( winter) of Mt. Quandry (14er) in CO, I got caught in a quick moving winter storm, that I did not see coming. I was solo and the ridge I was descending was the worst kind in bad conditions, steep, yet rolling in nature with very little landmarks of any use. I was 10 minutes into my descent when I lost visibilty. The cairns out west in most cases are nothing like White Mtn cairns, basically I saw none. Knowing that the road through the valley ran North/South and it was only 5 miles away, I kept it simple, left the map in the pack, compass around my neck, and followed a bearing of due east, my thought was a straight line is the shortest and 5 miles is not bad. I made the woods and actually found the trail 1 mile from the road. luckely, I start my climbs a dawn, so time was never a factor. I was in Breckenridge having a beer by 2pm. Actually a memorable and satisfying climb.

The closest I've gotten to real winter peril out hiking was on Mt. Washington over 10 years ago via the Lion's Head Route. Conditions got worse as we got [we were a group of 5] to the Alpine Garden section with high winds, snowfall, blowing snow. We did not see anyone else above treeline and when we reached Tuckerman Junction for the final ascent up to the summit cone, I saw people's goggles getting iced over and the wind was so loud we had to yell to speak to each other.

We turned around but by this point the cairns were difficult to see. I recall my goggles were so iced over that I had to take them off and the snow was piercing my eyes trying to find the route. We made a wrong turn and discovered we were heading down to Tuckerman's Ravine.

Snow was piling up fast and we found ourselves breaking trail and getting completely exhausted. The tracks from breaking trail were gone in a split second. Once we realized the error, some people in my group started to panic.

I was determined to not be a statistic on Mt. Washington. :) Yelling at everyone because of the wind, I told them as difficult as it would be, we had to go back up the mountain and find a cairn! Some folks were exhausted at this point but everyone dug in.

We went back up Mt. Washington, breaking trail as the snow accumulated and I think in about 15 minutes saw cairns on the Lion's Head Trail. Needless to say, our spirits were better at this point. Alpine Garden section of the Lion's Head Trail as expected was incredibly windy tossing us around but we got thru.

Took the Lion Head's summer route despite the avalanche danger to get out of the wind as quickly as possible. Lesson learned here was to make a decision to turn around before it's too late. Luckily I did not panic as some other members in our group started to do...I'm not sure if this is a lesson but good physical conditioning to dig in for a 'reserve' when needed was extremely helpful in this incident.

With the storms increasing in ferocity, the ice to water ratio began to swing not in our favor. Soon after, The Karluk, our home and only protection from the perils of the Arctic, became locked into the ice. While not totally unexpected, it happened earlier in the season than we planned. We hunkered down for what was surely to be a long winter.

Who knew we had Shackleton on VFTT?! ; )

Here's a photo with a short story:

i12.jpg

February 25, 2006. The forecast called for snow, but the storm wasn't supposed to hit Lincoln until something like 3:00 PM. I figured I had just enough time to make the lincoln-lafayette loop and be off the ridge before visibility suffered. As a precaution, I went up Bridle Path, so I'd have the northwesterly wind at my back while I was on the ridge. Well, when I reached the ledges on the Agonies, around 11:30 AM, I could see I'd miscalculated: at the elevations above me, the snow was already falling. Since I could still see almost all the way to the summit, I persisted for a while. All the way to the summit of Lafayette, in fact, which is where I caught up with the other hikers you see in the photos. Conditions were nasty - I didn't bother taking photos after 1:40 PM - but navigable: we could see the trail at our feet, we could usually see at least one cairn ahead, and the wind wasn't strong enough to threaten our balance. Perfect conditions for getting out while the getting was good.