Pet Friendly places to stay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
I tried doing a search for pet friendly places to stay in the whites, for a friend, and was surprised at not finding a dedicated thread. (Or maybe I'm clueless on searching this site) I ended up with the cheap sleeps thread which hasn't been updated much lately either.

With all the dog owners, there should be a dedicated thread. (I know the Swiss Chalets in the Glen area and I'd say that might be considered nice rustic)

Anyone have recommendations & comments on the conditions. I wouldn't have this friend stay in Hiker's Paradise although I am fine with those conditions myself.

I did do a search on www.officialpethotels.com but thought first hand recommendations would be better.

Thanks

In North Conway there is the Yankee Clipper and the Colonial. The latter is not my first choice but its ok. The Clipper is nice and you have the Blueberry Muffin restaurant attatched to it, which is very good. Problem is the Clipper only has a few pet rooms so call early.

Good thread for info. Since I'm extremely allergic, good to know where to avoid.

I had a 'therapy dog' sit next to me in a restaurant last year to no good end for my condition. It was a difficult decision between knifing the dog, or leaving w/o paying the bill. Chose the later.

Johnson's Motel in Twin Mountain is pet friendly, clean, decent rates (small extra fee for dogs) and very friendly owners - have stayed there a number of times and would definitely recommend them.

Good thread for info. Since I'm extremely allergic, good to know where to avoid.

I had a 'therapy dog' sit next to me in a restaurant last year to no good end for my condition. It was a difficult decision between knifing the dog, or leaving w/o paying the bill. Chose the later.

The pet friendly rooms are few and designated as such. You would not be placed in a pet friendly room without a pet.

I've stayed a few times at the Hampton Inn in Conway, right near the new EMS. I think they may have a weight limit on the dogs (75 lbs?). There is a dog walk out back and also abuts a snowmobile trail, so it's good for dog walking. They also have a couple of small water slides and cheap suites, so it works out well as a family destination.

If you are working on the Maine High Peaks, the Spillover Motel in Stratton, ME is pet friendly. Located just north of the Sugarloaf access road. They also have a communal kitchen so you can prepare your own food. Right across from the Bigelows and minutes from the CVR.

I've stayed at The Villager in Bartlett a few times with a dog. Basic, clean and comfortable, reasonably close to many trailheads.

Just posted this under 'cheap sleeps' as well . . .

The Notch Hostel

When up in the Whites, I sometimes prefer the hostel option to camping on one end of the spectrum or motels at the other end. When hiking near Gorham or Conway, I'm all set with some great hostels. However, I haven't come up with interesting hostel options in the Lincoln area --

-- until now. While hiking the Mt. Kinsman Trail yesterday, I ran into Serena Walsh. On talking, I learned that she and her husband-to-be Justin just moved up to N.Woodstock, and are in the process of opening a hostel on Rt.112, less than a mile W of the town center), called The Notch Hostel (notchhostel.com). It looks and sounds great: 15 bunks, 2 private rooms, copious indoor and outdoor common space, wifi and coffee, warm hospitality, dog friendly.

I very much enjoyed meeting Serena, and wish her and Justin the best as they get established. Check them out!

Alex

Ran into Serena and Justin on Memorial Day on our trip up Moosilauke. Spoke with them for a bit, a very nice couple. Looking forward to them opening up in the early summer.