Mount Hight and Carter Dome via Various Trails (19 April 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Mount Hight and Carter Dome

19 April 2015

Trails: 19 Mile Brook, Carter Dome Trail, Carter Moriah trail (Hight Loop)

Conditions: 19 Mile Brook is near 50/50 bare ground and hard pack for the first 1.9 miles to the junction. Carter Dome Trail was choppy snow but solid enough for boots in the morning. Carter Moriah was also choppy snow but solid with a couple duck under blow downs. As soon as I got over Carter Dome into south facing snow, I started postholing so put on snow shoes. The trail down to the hut was a mix of ice, hard pack, and rotten snow, and it was slow going and sliding season is over. 19 Mile Brook from the hut down to Carter Dome Trail was choppy snow mostly, snowshoe conditions. No snow bridges left but no trouble with crossings either. Snow is going away fast now and the trails are a mess.

Special Equipment: I bare booted over Hight and on to Carter Dome but snowshoes were a necessity after that for awhile with deep, soft snow up on Carter Dome and on the trail down to the hut. I took them off again at the Carter Dome Trail junction and bare booted out from there since there was plenty of bare ground, but was happy to have them when I needed them. Many people out today without snowshoes were paying the price with deep, deep postholes. I suggest bringing snowshoes and light traction on most trails for a couple weeks.

Comments: A gorgeous day to be out. Sat on Mount Hight for a while enjoying the crystal clear views of the Presidentials. Stunning.