Spring Wildflowers 2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Down in the Blue Hills of Boston, spring is well under way. I'll have some marsh marigold photos as early as tomorrow, and some bellwort and anemone soon after that.

Past year threads:

2014: 2014 Spring Wildflower Thread

2013: 2013 Spring Wildflower Thread

2012: 2012 Spring Wildflower Thread

2011: 2011 Spring Wildflower Thread

2010: The official 2010 Spring Wildflowers Thread

2009: Time for the 2009 Spring Summer Flower Thread

2008: Spring 08 Wildflower Pics

2007: The Chronology of Spring Flowers

And here's 2015:

Willow

17061785917_af89c3d9ba.jpg

Willow

17081424218_2e1dfbd4f2.jpg

Colt's-Foot
17267410302_b482804a96.jpg

Colt's Foot
17081639560_2e3b77e728.jpg

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to post this one, possibly because these have been flowering for a couple of weeks already:

skunk cabbage
17061940437_2d6baebd26.jpg

I was surprised to see hepatica in bloom at Pawtuckaway on Saturday. The blooms weren't open because of the cloudy day however, so didn't bother taking photos.

I don't take pictures, but I look forward to this thread every year. Not only do I learn plants species, but the photo's are simply amazing, thanks for posting them.

I'm not thrilled with the bellwort photos I got so far, I'll wait 'til I get some better ones before posting.

I'm already seeing shoots of lady's slipper on south-facing slopes, so watch this space over the next week or so.

Meanwhile, here's the marsh marigold I promised:
17359410885_081b9cd220.jpg

And some anemone:
17171616468_27120575c5.jpg=

And a little bonus:
17321274026_e378af05e7.jpg

Did a great loop around Cardigan (up Vistamont over Orange Mtn, South Peak, Cardigan, Firescrew then down Manning) on Saturday and there were plenty of wildflowers on this very scenic loop. Lots of trillium (red) in crisp bloom, including some impressive 15 flower conglomerates around the vistamont/clarke intersection. Wish I stopped to photograph them since we had even cloudy light, but I didn't want to PO my buddy who isn't the frolick in a field of wildflowers sort of fellow (mph guy!).

Didn't get any good photo's but here are a few anyway:

IMG_9166-1.jpg

Trillium

IMG_9152-1.jpg

Trout lily and polinator

IMG_9152-2.jpg

Closer view, anyone know what kind of bee like creature this is? Very small.

IMG_9148-1.jpg

The Manning trail has impressive trout lily fields lining the trail about 1/3 in. Some of the most extensive fields I've ever seen.

There were also some painted trillium (the white variety) in bloom as well as marsh marigold on that loop.

I don't take pictures, but I look forward to this thread every year. Not only do I learn plants species, but the photo's are simply amazing, thanks for posting them.

My thoughts verbatim!

Jack-in-the-pulpit
17031337864_3bb8a20ca9.jpg

Pink Lady's-Slipper
17651425612_a09fca8123.jpg

Oak (with female red-winged blackbird eating the flowers)
17031326364_f28a2754ba.jpg

Anyone know if there are any trillium in bloom in the whites yet? In previous years I have seen the red aka wake robbin variety out by around this weekend, but perhaps with the snow this year its later? They were out in central nh last weekend.

I am no Botonist, but there is a plant I look foward to every year in the Whites. I'm not sure if this is the correct name, but I know it as the " Indian cucumber". Grows lower down in vast quanities when found, peticuliary in moist woods. It has like 3 leaves on the top then down the stem about 5 that both form a circle. The cucumber itself averages the size of your pinky, although slightly narrower. they are wonderfull to eat. They come in around july 1st or so. With this horrible dsecription, anyone know what plant I'm talking about, would love to know the real name. I will take a picture when I find them in bloom this summer.

Raymond-- Thanks so much! I remember seeing them in the same areas mid may doing owls head a few years back.

Well there are definitely flowers out in the whites now, at least at lower elevations. Today I saw thousand of painted trillium, hundred of reds, hobblebush in near/full bloom, wood anemone, bellworts, and bluets going lincoln woods, franconia falls, bushwhack to black pond, and black pond trail. Will put up some pictures in a few days when I get time to go through

Sierra,

Yep, Indian Cucumber a.k.a. Indian Cucumber-Root, Medeola virginiana. They have interesting flowers: the pistils (more precisely, the stigmata) curve out across the width of the flower. http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/tripyramids/i21.jpg

That photo does not look anything like the plant I am referring too. I will get a photo to post when I find one in good shape. I know for sure they grow like mad in the woods going up the Valley way about 1/5 mile in.

Sierra - Looking at your picture, although it's small, I think that's the plant Nartreb pointed out. The pictures in these links may show you a view of the leaves that looks more like your picture. Check out the first link in particular as it shows these as they tend to appear viewed from above and walking by as one would on a trail.

I've mentioned this site before, but since it's a new year, Gobotany.com is a very good online plant ID guide. It's New England specific.

https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/genus/medeola/

https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/medeola/virginiana/

Edit: keep in mind you may be seeing differences in leaves in these pictures due to different seasons as well as the fact that there are multiple species all in this group (genus). They may have slight differences as well due to that.

Last edited: