"Best" Peaks To Hike In VT And NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I loved the Vermont 4k/NEHH peaks, but in a very different way from NH. (ME is yet another animal.) VT is, to be cliche, pastoral: there's fields below so you're pretty much always going to have a reminder of human habitation, but it mostly melds well with the land. Mansfield I was on and off quickly and did from the north; the summit developments didn't register much. I did Equinox late afternoon/early evening and watching the setting sunlight fill up the valley on the west side is one of my favorite memories from the NEHH. Took advantage of the vending machine while I was at it. Jay was another great one despite the ski area...well, other than the top of the mountain being gone. Never had anything in VT like the mob scene on Baxter Peak, from which one can infer that Maine is a terrible place to hike if you like solitude :)

Katahdin is my ultimate bucket list peak right now but it is well beyond the realm of a day hike. I would expect the crowds there are far less tourist and far more outdoor enthusiast, which makes it more tolerable. Hell I did Mt Jefferson on a so-so weather day one Friday late summer last year and was greeted by about 70 people when I got to summit sprawled all over the trail, screaming and yelling, etc. I need to take up bushwhacking... :)

I would expect the crowds there are far less tourist and far more outdoor enthusiast, which makes it more tolerable. Hell I did Mt Jefferson on a so-so weather day one Friday late summer last year and was greeted by about 70 people when I got to summit sprawled all over the trail, screaming and yelling, etc.

Add banana peels and cotton shorts + tshirt (45 degree wet day), and you've got Baxter Peak when I got there. Saturday, late September. Sorry!

It sounds like I am going to be disappointed with VT peaks but I am going to do them if for nothing else but to say I did them.

I have lost count how many times I have climbed Mansfield or Camel's Hump, I would guess at least 3 or 4 dozen times each over a 25 year period. I don't ever recall wishing I was someplace anytime I was there (aside from late in the day when I am getting hungry and looking forward to dinner ). Both a very enjoyable hikes well beyond doing them to say you did them. If you want to avoid the structures and hike on exposed ridges do the west side of Mansfield over the east. I have had Mansfield to myself by hiking late in the day near sunset during mid week (bring a head lamp). On that note, Mansfield makes a great full moon hike. For Camel's Hump, get a map and do a loop hike, there are several to choose from.

BTW, I heard in an interview with her that the only mountain Elizabeth Hawley has ever climbed in Mt Mansfield :).

Add some Thru-Hikers too and their families and friends. My experience is that it's not much different as far as clientele. Only those doing the New England list venture to South Brother and Fort though. The outdoor types do Traveler and Double top, they aren't on any list.

(Only a moron does Katahdin as a day-hike from CT and I only did it once with no plans to ever do it again. - Started driving 11PM and got back at 9PM. Started the first day, ended the next day 22 hours after I started.)

(Only a moron does Katahdin as a day-hike from CT and I only did it once with no plans to ever do it again. - Started driving 11PM and got back at 9PM. Started the first day, ended the next day 22 hours after I started.)
I've done a 35-36 hour* "day" trip, but I don't recommend it. The drive home was difficult and the last hour of the drive home was a wee bit dangerous.

* 3hr drive up, 28hr BC ski, 4-5hr drive home.

Doug

I've done a 35-36 hour* "day" trip, but I don't recommend it. The drive home was difficult and the last hour of the drive home was a wee bit dangerous.

* 3hr drive up, 28hr BC ski, 4-5hr drive home.

Doug
I almost lost it outside of Portland but got out of the truck and did some exercises & coffee to help with the rest. It was over 20 years ago do, IMO, being dumb is a young mans game.....

The outdoor types do Traveler and Double top, they aren't on any list.

Actually, they are on the New England 50 Finest List. From hiking in that area last summer, they seem like they would be well worth the hike.