Heads Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Rockburn, Quebec, Canada living in an old (1830) o
Last year a VFTTer posted that he had lost his dog to poison and blamed it on deer hunters wanting to kill coyotes. This does not happen and many people, particulalrly city people, like to blame hunters for all kinds of real and imagined sins.

I knew a post like that would cause a stir and decided it was inappropriate whilst a man was mourning his dog.

Here's the point: There is a rabies alert in upstate New York and southwestern Quebec where I live and the racoon control trucks (Opération raton) are out. I am certain that NYDEC are doing the same, that is placing poison bait in areas known to have racoons (pretty much everywhere). They won't place them on trails and so please do not let your beloved friend wander when you are hiking - both for fear of rabid racoons and for the poison set out for them.

Happy trails and please be safe.

Doug

I'm the poster, and Bookah was my dog. Cornell veterinary did the science work and identified it as strychnine. It's a felony to use this poison above ground in NYS; closely regulated and only with a permit. The DEC ranger who spent a lot of time looking into this is a friend of my hiking partner. He knows the hunting club and interviewed members. The ranger knows she was illegally poisoned, the club that did it, but can't prove it. There was no DEC poisoning anywhere in the area and DEC is not using strychnine.
I grew up hunting and don't look to blame real hunters for anything.
Don't make assumptions and please get your facts straight before reopening this wound.

Last edited:
Bookah

I'm the poster, and Bookah was my dog. Cornell veterinary did the science work and identified it as strychnine. It's a felony to use this poison above ground in NYS; closely regulated and only with a permit. The DEC ranger who spent a lot of time looking into this is a friend of my hiking partner. He knows the hunting club and interviewed members. The ranger knows she was illegally poisoned, the club that did it, but can't prove it. There was no DEC poisoning anywhere in the area and DEC is not using strychnine.
I grew up hunting and don't look to blame real hunters for anything.
Don't make assumptions and please get your facts straight before reopening this wound.

That you lost your friend this way disgusts me. Sending good energy to you and Booah

Having myself, posted some questionable post, I find this new post by Gremlin to be one of the most insensitive post Ive ever read here and should be deleted by the moderators toot sweet. Poisons like those mentioned have no place ANYWHERE a dog and his owner could possibly go period. If this happened to my dog, I would be beside myself with grief, I'm pissed just thinking about it. Sorry peakbagger you had to relive that horrible time.

Poisons like those mentioned have no place ANYWHERE a dog and his owner could possibly go period.

Taking it a step further, IMO, they have no place anywhere in nature where they can leach into drinking water or be consumed by other animals. We need to rid this earth of poisons, not spread them around the forests. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.