Baxter State Park - DUPR - Changes ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed these rules for the Baxter Day Use Parking regulations today and for some reason they seem to have become more restrictive

Maine residents can make a DUPR for any time in the summer season as of April 1
(must have a Maine driver's license and registration).
Non-residents can make a DUPR 2 weeks or less prior to the date of their intended hike.
A maximum of 3 DUPRs per month can be made by residents and non-residents.

I don't remember the limitation that only Maine residents can book more than two weeks in advance?

This does make it interesting for people that book a spot outside of the park in advance on a popular weekend without the ability to book a DUPR in advance. Of course they can always book a "throw away" spot in the park for that date.

I generally camp in the park so its a non issue and my campsite reservations were booked in January.

Not being one to leave anything to chance (especially in July), I booked a bunk at Roaring Brook. It was 2 years ago and seems to me it was $12 and guaranteed me a parking space.

The Baxter Park Reservation Game. Soon, someone will make a board game of that ... which means it'll show up on smart phones soon thereafter ... but, I love the park and it is all worthwhile. My suggestion, don't take shortcuts. Plan your hikes in advance, book inside the park, and enjoy it ... no matter the weather, there is always something to do there ... unless you're hell bent on peakbagging, in which case, hurry up and finish the lists so you can relax and enjoy these places for what they are and the atavistic pleasures they give.