ADK black flies vs VT & NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinCanFury

Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of hiking in VT and NH and am slowly making my way into the Adirondacks. Some friends and I are thinking of doing a section of the Northville-Placid trail over Memorial Weekend and so we are wondering how the black fly experience is in comparison to what we are "used to" in VT and NH? We generally already all have permethrin treated clothes, and we will plan to carry some high DEET spray, and my guess is most if not all of us will have a head net. I'm wondering if anyone with experience in all these areas has any comments as to what to expect for the black fly harassment we will encounter?

thanks!

They should be pretty thick at that time; many of the areas on the NPT are wet. If you're used to it, though, you should be all good. The best you can hope for are 80+ temps and a windy day as black flies tend to disappear after it warms up...

Typically, I found that the ADK flies are worst than the NH ones. I'm heading back to the ADK myself in mid-June and saving up the 100% DEET for that trip. (We usually go in the Spring in early May hoping to get there first)

Yep, me too. Good stuff. I think the extra "fly repellent" ingredient really does make a small difference.

Same company makes a good permethrin clothing spray also, for the cuffs of pants, etc.