East Sleeper on 5-2-15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfvftt

Reaction score
Hiked East Sleeper 3,840’ solo Saturday 5/2/15 from Ferncroft Rd.

Weather was sunny 55F at trailhead 10AM I still brought spikes and snowshoes (good decision)
Went up the Blueberry Ledge trail no issues. Started seeing snow and Ice on the monorail at about 2500’ got a few slippery spots so put on the spikes.
From 3000’ feet on the trail is snow covered.

Made it up the ledges no issues (bare rock) coming down used a short rope assist as It was slippery I was beat and there had been considerable melting during the day.Kept spikes on until the Kate sleeper intersection. Good thing I brought the snow shoes, spikes off snow shoes on. That trail was nice and gradual descent of 500’ to the intersection of the Downes Brook Tr. No traffic at all. Every now and then I picked up the foot prints of a previous hiker but the trail was easy to follow. Two to three feet of snow at this location. Even with snow shoes I occasionally post holed.

On the next leg to East sleeper after the Downes intersection the trail changed, it was very hard to find and follow. There were hundreds of blowdowns past and present. Actually the easiest way to stay on trail was to follow the trees across the trail that had been cut in past years for trail egress. I felt pretty isolated out there. Then the last few hundred feet were more gradual and easy to follow. A sign marked the spur trail and its quick hop to the summit from there. (2PM temp 52F partly cloudy)

On the return more of the same but the warmer temps guaranteed significant potholing. I was beat by the time I got back to the Blueberry Ledge tr. Thought about the summiting Whiteface but it was getting late 3:45 and I was tired. My big concern was getting through the ledges safely. Did that and then had a beautiful hike on the Blueberry Ledge cutoff it runs adjacent the stream and was spectacular day to be there.

Back to the car at 6PM
#88 on NEHH list
RVF

Last edited: