Hiker Rescue on Lincoln

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conservation Officer Jeremy Hawkes says hiking trails still have snow and ice, even at the beginning of trails, and it's important to have proper footwear and other gear for the conditions.
So the hiker neglected to have proper equipment for hiking on ice?

Or he was wearing proper equipment and slipped anyways.
Fair point - the article didn't say that the hiker didn't have proper equipment and I shouldn't be guessing if Conservation Officer's comment was in response to how the hiker was equipped, or just a generic word of caution about slippery trail conditions.

Falling Waters is somewhat infamous for spring snow conditions between the Shining Rock spur and Haystack. Its quite steep in spots with a layer of wet snow/slush that develops in the afternoon. Microspikes have limited value. Crampons occasionally will help but they also can ball up just as easily. Snowshoes may be useful going uphill but can be downright dangerous heading downhill if there is a layer of wet snow s they can rapidly turn into a pair of unintended skis.

PVS&R was asked about proper traction on their Facebook post about the incident, and said there were "other circumstances".

Falling Waters is somewhat infamous for spring snow conditions between the Shining Rock spur and Haystack.
Spring rockfall is an issue, too (one fatality I know of). It would not necessarily be my first choice for an early season trip. Plenty of folks do choose otherwise without negative consequences, of course.