Need Catskill trip-planning advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Calling on the veterans of VFTT for some Catskill advice. I'm new to the Catskills (as compared to the VT/NH peaks) since I moved to PA, so need some help.

Here's the situation:

I'm taking 5-6 teenagers into the mountains (with 1-2 other adults). Arriving in the Catskills around noon on Thursday, August 6. Friday - Saturday, we plan to hike over Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg, camp at Woodland Valley, then over Panther/Giant Ledges on Saturday, and return to PA. (I've done that loop as a day hike, so I'm comfortable with that portion.)

My question is what to do on Thursday. I thought about doing a day hike with them, 4-5 hours of hiking, as a prelude. Hunter loop from Spruceton Road? Sugarloaf? Table/Peekamoose? I don't think there's a viable way to add onto the Slide/C/W loop, that I can tell. Want something to whet their appetite (i.e. views, waterfalls, etc.), probably in the 6-8 mile range.

Also, what are our options for car camping that night? I figured we could camp at Woodland Valley during our 'backpacking' portion (though I know it's car-accessible).

Thoughts? Ideas?

This is our inaugural trip, so I'm keeping it relatively easy and short. Next year, hopefully, we'll do a Pemi Loop in NH, or something in the ADKs -- both places I am much more familiar.

Thanks in advance.

might also check the reservation minimums on a weekend, sounds like you want to camp at WV on a fri night.. Might just make sure you can stay one night only, NY has some ugly rules about DEC campgrounds for summer weekends and a horrible reservation fee charge...

Thursday at noon, hunter loop is a long drive from spruceton.. Starting at Slide on friday...

First, you probably have a lot of time on sat to head from WV back to Slide mtn parking area, so the side trip to Giant ledge is a good idea and you could also do Panther (which is over 3500') too if you don't mind the col in between...twice.

If you're looking at something nice on thursday that is on the way to your start fri, consider Mt Tremper (firetower, not above 3500') or Overlook Mtn firetower for a short, easier hike.

might also check the reservation minimums on a weekend, sounds like you want to camp at WV on a fri night.. Might just make sure you can stay one night only, NY has some ugly rules about DEC campgrounds for summer weekends and a horrible reservation fee charge...

Thursday at noon, hunter loop is a long drive from spruceton.. Starting at Slide on friday...

First, you probably have a lot of time on sat to head from WV back to Slide mtn parking area, so the side trip to Giant ledge is a good idea and you could also do Panther (which is over 3500') too if you don't mind the col in between...twice.

If you're looking at something nice on thursday that is on the way to your start fri, consider Mt Tremper (firetower, not above 3500') or Overlook Mtn firetower for a short, easier hike.

Didn't think about the minimum stay requirement. Good point. I'll check.

Re: Thursday, the plan was to do a day hike, then drive to a campground, then drive to the Slide trailhead on Rt. 47 on Friday morning. So really, the day hike could be anywhere. Hunter from Spruceton Road looks to be <7 mile loop, which seems doable for us.

However, doing Tremper puts us close to WV campground, and if there's a 2-night minimum, that solves both problems. Hmm...

I've done day hikes of Slide and Hunter, and that's it in the Catskills for me. From driving the Kaaterskill Gorge, east of Tannersville on 23A, it's very beautiful. The high falls are in that area. A day exploring all around that area would be fun, though you'd have a lot of company.

Last edited:
I'm not a backpacker, but I hike the Catskills a lot. If you want to start at Slide PA, you could walk over to the Denning area, and either camp below Table across the Neversink, or up high at the Bouton leanto, and also do Peekamoose while there. Then you could return and either camp in the Slide / Cornell Col, or continue on to Woodland Valley. This would allow you to maximize your peaks in that area.

The Hunter Loop can be as large as Rusk, East rusk, Hunter, SW Hunter (Leavitt), and even Westkill, or you can pick and choose amongst those peaks. There are 3 leanto on or near the Hunter Loop.

If you have multiple cars, you could do any or all of the Devil's Path. There are several leantos along that route.

The Blackheads and Windham High Peak offer leantos and multiple peaks.

There is the Pine Hill / West Branch trail, which has 2 leantos along the way and others off to the side.

And you could visit the Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower, where we might be hanging out to greet you, depending on what day you arrive. There are also 3 leantos in that area as well.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you need more info!

For day hikes, I've done Blackhead/Black Dome & Windham a couple of times. I've done with the help of my bike, the Indian Head through Plateau section of the Devil's Pat. Thinking the next day hike will be Indian Head & Twin as they had very nice views and could do as a loop. Have done Giant Ledge & Panther and the col isn't too bad, I mean we aren't talking Wolf-Jaw Col although it's more than the depth of the Lafayette/Lincoln col. (Having difficulty now thinking of one in NH or the ADK that it reminds me of, maybe Crawford Dome & Giant Stairs or Whiteface/Passaconaway - Rollins Trail, maybe Cannon & SW Cannonball but not as deep.

Didn't think about the minimum stay requirement. Good point. I'll check.

Re: Thursday, the plan was to do a day hike, then drive to a campground, then drive to the Slide trailhead on Rt. 47 on Friday morning. So really, the day hike could be anywhere. Hunter from Spruceton Road looks to be <7 mile loop, which seems doable for us.

However, doing Tremper puts us close to WV campground, and if there's a 2-night minimum, that solves both problems. Hmm...

If you backpack to tremper, there are two leantos on the mtn. They're kind of beatup but I believe totally functional although I am not sure if the one at the top has a water source and if the one at the bottom has a reliable one...

Jay

I'm not a backpacker, but I hike the Catskills a lot. If you want to start at Slide PA, you could walk over to the Denning area, and either camp below Table across the Neversink, or up high at the Bouton leanto, and also do Peekamoose while there. Then you could return and either camp in the Slide / Cornell Col, or continue on to Woodland Valley. This would allow you to maximize your peaks in that area.

There is the Pine Hill / West Branch trail, which has 2 leantos along the way and others off to the side.

And you could visit the Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower, where we might be hanging out to greet you, depending on what day you arrive. There are also 3 leantos in that area as well.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you need more info!

I've heard about the camping area near Denning, and it's intriguing, though I've never been there or seen pictures (or even much of a description). I'm leery of relying on shelters because I'm taking a group of teenagers, and don't want to take a place over. If we used a shelter, it would be the surrounding tent sites and the spring, not the shelter itself.

Now I'm looking at my map to see if I can figure out how to incorporate Pine Hill / West Branch Trail / Balsam Mtn.

Thanks for the info!

I've heard about the camping area near Denning, and it's intriguing, though I've never been there or seen pictures (or even much of a description). I'm leery of relying on shelters because I'm taking a group of teenagers, and don't want to take a place over. If we used a shelter, it would be the surrounding tent sites and the spring, not the shelter itself.

Now I'm looking at my map to see if I can figure out how to incorporate Pine Hill / West Branch Trail / Balsam Mtn.

Thanks for the info!
Most of the leantos in the Catskills have flat areas around them, have water, and have an outhouse.