Hedgehog - which way?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Doing Hedgehog soon via UNH trail... wondering the pros and cons of going clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Would like to see some thoughts about the best way.

Thanks!

Will probably add Potash afterwards also.

This is my 2 cents. I've only done it once and it was clockwise. And that caused me to miss Allen's Ledge which does have good views. Reason being, at least at that time, the sign for the spur was facing in the counter-clockwise direction causing me to walk past it. So I think counter-clockwise is actually better. It saves the best for last as far as the views go. There's nothing extreme as far as ledge goes that makes ascending vs descending any better. IMO

I think CCW would be nicer, but can't go wrong either way! I have only gone CCW, and we did do Allen's Ledge, which was a nice snack spot with views north.

We did it clockwise in the fall and had no problem finding the Allen's Ledge spur trail. Allen's Ledge provided a nice recap to the hike.

Just as a follow-up, ended up planning on doing it clockwise, but my hiking partner decided spur of the moment at the junction to go right and counter-clockwise. Allens Ledge was awesome as first views early into it. Great ledges and views atop Hedgehog and then the East Ledges also impressive. However, upon further review and how some of the ledges were layed out, I think it would be a little easier going left at the junction and clockwise. Some of the stuff we were going down would have been easier going up. So I would tell people that and Allens Ledge is still great at the end of the hike. Either way really, can't go wrong. Nothing hard and a nice little loop.