Best Short Quick Easy Hikes In NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I am going to be car camping at the end of June with a group of decidedly unfit, unaware to hiking individuals with very little experience. Some of these people have a genuine interest in trying hiking but they are fairly limited in what they can do (i.e. one will be 4 weeks out of a hernia operation, another is a cancer survivor, etc). So.......even what I consider to have been pretty easy hikes are going to be off the table for these folks. We'll likely either be camping somewhere off the Kanc or around Twin Mountain. I'll drive really anywhere along the Lincoln/Twin Mountain/Gorham/Conway area.

Can anyone recommend ANYTHING that would be easier grades, fairly short (maybe 1 mile out or thereabouts, 1-2 hours round trip or along those lines) and somehow still have cool views either in meadows, along ponds or maybe outlooks on ravines that may have something to look at other than trees. Really going for mountain views so I've ruled out waterfall hikes (unless there is such a hike out there with both - I haven't done many). I'm drawing a total blank on ideas. Most of my hikes are 10-14 miles and views come hours into the walk. Middle Sugarloaf and Mt Willard have always been my "go-to" spectacular hikes for the effort but even that will be beyond the ability of this group. I've done virtually no short hikes in NH of this nature.

If anyone can actually come up with some ideas out of that extremely limiting criteria it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

All I can think of is perhaps taking the Zealand Trail and see how far you go since this trail is flat. You might not make it to the Hut but there is interesting river views, ponds and boardwalk that would provide interest. You can indicate you reached your destination at some interesting viewpoint and assessing your group's condition.

Another option is to check out the trails at The Rocks Estate in Bethlehem, New Hampshire.

Two that come to mind are Artists Bluff at the top of Franconia Notch and Lookout Ledge from Randolph. I hope those are not too strenuous for the folks you describe. Both are relatively short but do have some elevation gain. I think like around 600 feet for Lookout Ledge. Artists Bluff similar or less I think, but I would have to look that one up. Pretty nice views from both spots. Kman says Kilburn Crags in Littleton is good too. Good luck.

Zealand Trail to the hut is flat and scenic, so agree there. Parking maybe tough. The Rocks Estate is a tree farm in Bethlehem with great views of the Whites.
The biggest bang for the short buck, IMHO, is Bald Mountain and Artist's Bluff out of the dirt parking lot across from the Cannon entrance (up hill and around the corner from the beach parking).
Up Bald, initially, may be more than you want, and a bit rocky, but it's over quickly and (if you continue) you end up with a great view south into Franconia Notch.
If you'er feeling good, you can take the loop out around Artist's Bluff, but this adds quite a bit to the 1/4 day hike. We've done this and The Basin a number of times with people who are new to the area.
The Gorge is great too. No views, but a beautiful area.
Also, down and back and exploring the Scenic Parking in Crawford Notch is beautiful. Short "hikes" around to the views.

Zealand Trail was one I thought of but the beginning has a rough area with a lot of tree routes and rocks. The area a little ways up with the ponds and restricted views is exactly the kind of area I was thinking of. Artist Bluff also came to mind but I had no idea what the trail was like. I just see the people on it when I am driving by so I didn't know if there was scrambling or other issues.

East of North Conway is Fryeburg Maine. There is granite "bulge" called Jockey Cap. There is a very well graded trail to the top that would take most folks 15 minutes. Robert Peary lived in Fryeburg and there is a memorial up top with a 360 degree bronze relief of the surrounding profile of the mountains. Just drive on RT 302 east through Fryeburg and park at the Jockey Cap store.

You can take the tram up Cannon mountain and there are a few fairly short hiking trails around the summit plus the summit tower.

Hi Daytrip,

Would Champney Falls fit the bill? I don't recall the trail leading to just the base of the falls as being too strenuous, but you know your hiking party far better than I. What about Lincoln Woods? That is flat for sure and the river offers some nice views. I will try to come up with other options that might work.

Good Luck,

Z :D

East Pond, Black Pond, Lonesome Lake, Greeley Ponds, Three Ponds, all have views of peaks from their shores, and are pretty flat.

Its touristy, but Ive taken people up the Cog and they have been entralled with the trip. They will see alpine terrain that they might never get the chance to see without this method of transport. Bald mt. my was a great idea. I also like " The Red bench" behind the Highland center, nice walking to the lake and from the bench you can see the Presi's. While in the area you can climb elephants head, and if thier really doing well, Bugle cliff of the Jackson trail is a nice perch as well. The area around The Willy house is nice and Frankenstien cliffs is cool as well.

Around the Lake (Behind the Highland Center) Nice pond surrounded by fir trees, one of my favorite 1/2 hour, one mile trips. Black Cap, from near the top of Hurricane Mt. Road, it climbs about five hundred feet in just over a mile with wide open views, blueberries when in season. (Took non-hikers there for a family get together.)

I prefer the Bald Mt. part of the Artist Bluff/Bald Loop, it's at most 1/2 a mile from the lot and a couple hundred feet of elevation gain.

Elephant Head (the first or second spur off the Webster Jackson Trail.) A bare rock overlooking Crawford Notch. The Cog ride, IMO while more pricey than the car ride was a better trip up. In the same vain, take the Cannon Tram up and then walk up to the summit and walk around the trails along the top, possibly going over to the top of the cliff.

Take the tourist trip thru the Flume Gorge or Glen Ellis Falls. Just heading to Greeley Ponds is very nice also. is that lost or Unknown pond opposite PNVC? combine that with just going up Tucks as far as the Crystal Cascade. Also nice cascades along the lower section of Valley Way. Look up the info on Pine Mt, north of Madison. From one direction, it sounds pretty easy.

Car camping? Are you going to change your name here?

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Pondicherry Wildlife Refuge is super flat and has spectacular scenery. Took a friend there a few weeks after his knee replacement as a reintroduction and it went well!

Pondicherry seems to me to be the ideal solution ... wish I had thought of it. Totally flat, excellent footing, pond plus great views of the Northern Presis. Hiked it a few years ago at Steve Smith's suggestion in the fall for the wonderful larches.

East of North Conway is Fryeburg Maine. There is granite "bulge" called Jockey Cap. There is a very well graded trail to the top that would take most folks 15 minutes. Robert Peary lived in Fryeburg and there is a memorial up top with a 360 degree bronze relief of the surrounding profile of the mountains. Just drive on RT 302 east through Fryeburg and park at the Jockey Cap store.

This was my first thought, and I'm surprised someone beat me to it as I don't think it is widely known.

Another big-bang-for-slight-exertion is Black Cap, at the north end of the Green Hills of Conway, which you can reach by an easy Trail of about half a mile from the height of land on Hurricane Mountain Road (closed in Winter). Great views in all directions, but it's popular and apt to be crowded on a nice Summer weekend.

There are numerous waterfalls/pools just a short distance from the Appalachia Parking lot on Rt2 outside of Gorham. You could easily do a short hike in to see some of these as an out & back. Its normally cool along these streams, so that helps if its hot.

Also, there is the Gorham Rail trail. If you park on Dolly Copp Rd, its an easy, flat walk to a nice bog/pond area. Lots of moose prints in the mud, so perhaps an evening walk might results in a moose sighting.

Last edited:
The stroll to Sawyer Pond is quite nice. I took my nonhiker mother there a few years back, and she enjoyed it.

Second the Pondicherry recommendation, although the mosquitoes can be crazy fierce there!

BTW, I wouldn't consider the trail to Lonesome Lake as flat!

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks all. You came up with far more suggestions than I thought possible given the limited criteria. I'll research these over the next few weeks.

Another one that I thought of is the first mile or so of Howker Ridge Trail which runs along Bumpus Brook passing Stairs Falls, proceeds thru the jumbled boulder field called the Devil's Kitchen and at one mile comes to Hitchcock Falls. Just a short distance uphill from the stream crossing at the falls is The Bear Pit, an interesting natural box-like feature.

Last edited:
Gee Gray Jay opened up the RMC local trails of which there are numerous ones. There are several nice hike that start at Appalachia and along Durand Road that may be what you are looking for. Lookout Ledge of off Randolph hill road has a lot of flat level walking with a big payoff.

Mt Willard comes to mind (1.6mi, 900ft) with a fantastic view from the summit. Might be a little much for some, but very nice for those who are up to it.

The WMG has a list of suggested hikes at the end of each section, including an "Easy Hikes" list.

Doug