Rescues This Weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should have gave a contract to the guy they lowered down to him for him to sign, reading " If you accept this rescue, you agree to pay for all cost involved" before handing him the harness, no sign, no rescue.:eek:

Yes, the Nashua Telegraph should be folded, spindled, mutilated, and humiliated for posting news stories with no dateline. This is about the 4th time I've seen this particular news story pop up over the last 2 1/2 years with "hey, did you read about the rescue in the WMNF this weekend?" There is NO WAY on the NT website to tell when the story was posted (and they even helpfully put today's date in the page header)

LOL! Thank you Sardog1 and JCarter.

I feel duped and a little silly, but overall I find it laughable that the Nashua Telegraph is so hard up for credible news that they recycle stories. :rolleyes:

Next time I will be sure to omit their site when searching for relevant information.

Thanks,

Z :D

I happened to be at the counter of Pinkham Notch when the rescue was unfolding. They didn't exactly know where he was (since he didn't exactly know where he was), but the thinking was that he was in Central Gully. Rescue crews drove up the auto road and then rappelled down. If someone had never been there before, I can see why one might think it was passable without gear by looking at it from below. To his credit, he knew enough to stay put once he found himself in a bad place. ...That being said, he made people leave work early, caused them a huge headache, and on its face it certainly looks like a reasonable person should have known better!

Last edited:
Hi--I was one of the trail stewards last year, in its inaugural year. It was a fun way to give back a little and share some experiences and offer advice. I recommend it! It does make an impact for sure. We weren't there to wag our fingers and "shame" anyone, but were able to offer some guidance, answer questions, and yes, point out some equipment issues, in a nice way. I forget how many people the trail stewards chatted with last year, but it was thousands. (I think they will be set up most summer weekends at Falling Waters, Lincoln Woods, and maybe one or two other popular destinations....)