Planning a short northern presi trip- any advice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwhack

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm planning on hiking around the northern peaks of the presi range for a few days next week (monday-wednesday), looking to hit the king ravine trail, six husbands Trail, Clay, Jefferson, Adams, and Madison. Any advice? I have camped out around parts of the presi in winter, but never this time of year. Specifically, I was wondering:
1. Does there tend to be lots of snow and ice to deal with, or are the trails generally pretty clear?
2. 15 degree sleeping bag, or -20 degree sleeping bag?
4. Microspikes or crampons?
3. will I be able to get a pack through the subway portion of king ravine this time of year?

Any other thoughts are welcome, as are any folks interested in joining me.

the specific plan is:
6/1: 11:00 AM, park across from durand pond, head up air line trail to short line trail to king ravine trail. summit mount Adams and Madison, then camp at Valley Way.
6/2: head down buttress trail to six husbands trail. summit Jefferson, yo-yo out to Clay and back, and then camp at The Perch.
6/3: head back down to parking lot by 1:00 PM .

Thanks!

There are still small snow fields visible on the headwall of Kings Ravine. That would imply that the Subway is probably not passable yet so you can take the Elevated to bypass it. The exposed trails will be clear. I think there is still a good sized snowfield on the Star Lake trail so avoid it descending Adams as the field may not be visible until you have headed down a bit. The snow field is quite steep with rocky run off so I would avoid.

Your timing is very optimistic, unless you are in great shape you will be challenged to do your first days itinerary. I picked up some folks who had to bail down Buttress Trail this past weekend, they were surprised with the depth of snow along the trail, it was rotten, so they were breaking through hip deep. I expect six husbands will have significant snow down low and in general will not be a pleasant experience.

Unless its windy, the black flies could be ferocious.

Cell service in the great gulf is slim to non existent, if you get into trouble better have a hike safe card and a PLB.

The hut is not open so no services.

15 degree bag is the way to go

I don't know you but based on your post count, I will assume that you may be new to this. The itinerary you posted is very aggressive, odds are you have a fairly full pack. I would suggest hiking up to Crag Camp the first day, then looping over to Madison and Adams possibly Jefferson the next day and then camping at the Perch. Save the Great Gulf for later in the summer when rotten snow and run off isn't an issue. I realize that its probably summer where you live but its still spring up on the summits.

For another data point: I've done Adams + Madison round trip, up Airline, down Valley way, in 5:15 (In October, with a daypack, solo with my dog, YMMV)... going down only to the tent site is probably more like 4:00...

Tim

Thanks for the advice and the data point. Peakbagger, you are correct- I am a bit inexperienced with the presidential range. Most of my experience in NH is in other parts of the whites. I have summitted Washington several times, and have spent a while doing winter survival work in the great gulf and around mount washburn, but I have never actually gone all the way up any of the northern presis, so I am unfamiliar with the terrain.

I was feeling pretty good about the timing, but given the reputation of king ravine and six husbands in combination with the conditions you describe, I am not sure how how I would do in terms of speed. The words "rotten snow" are also a good deterrent, so I will probably go for trails with more sun exposure. For comparison, my average time up old bridle path on lafayette is around 1:10, best time up Washington is 2:32, but those are with a daypack. I know that Washington is higher, but are these mountains generally more difficult?

my two-night shoulder-season pack is about 17 pounds.

Initial Conclusion: a change of route excising king ravine and six husbands is in order.

Thanks for the quick replies!

-Ben

I'd also be concerned about potential snow in the areas peakbagger mentioned.

An alternate route would be:

1. Leave Appalachia at 11:00, follow Brookside and Watson Path up Madison, then Gulfside to Adams and go down Israel Ridge to the Perch.

2. Carry a daypack to Jefferson and Clay and back to the Perch.

3. Follow the Randolph Path and Short Line back to Appalachia.

When conditions permit, you can do a loop of Six Husbands and Buttress from a campsite in the Great Gulf.

Last edited:
With respect to Mt Adams vs Washington, Mt Adams doesn't get no respect. Folks forget Appalachia is quite a bit lower than either Pinkham or Ammo.

Ammo parking lot to Mt Washington summit 3888' vertical
Pinkham to Mt Washington Summit 4241' vertical
Appalachia to Mt Adams 4723.

So difficulty is relative but the extra elevation makes a difference. Some argue that Valley way is easier than Mt Washington approaches as it is very well graded but Jewell is also well graded.

Your pack weight is impressive if you have all the gear. The folks I gave a ride to had 60 pound packs for a three day traverse.

There are some great loops in the Great Gulf if you set up a base camp. Hard to beat Six Husbands and Buttress. I have not done the Great Gulf up the headwall but hear its another nice one to do and then descend Sphinx

Whatever you do when you stand on top of Adams take a picture looking north, at some point this summer the view will be changed permanently by the addition of 5 very tall wind turbines on Jericho Mountain in Berlin .

My 2 cents, stay out of the Gulf and focus on the northern slopes of the Northern peaks. While I have no intimate knowledge of current Gulf conditions, it could be epic and Im not a fan of descending into unknown conditions, this time of year, espechally when I know the northern side is in great shape. Id consider the Perch the first night bagging Jefferson, ( although 11.00am start is late for this). Day 2 Adams and Madision, camp, nice walk out. This would be advantagous in that it would eliminate the descent to the valley way campsite and loss of elevation which you would have to regain on day two, not mention the elevation loss into the Great Gulf which is nothing to sneeze at.

Sounds like your plan was to tackle the peaks and the trails with the reputation for being either the hardest or best on both sides of the peaks. I'd probably break that into two trips doing KR and the peaks one time and then the Great Gulf and 6H on another trip.

Sounds like you are in good, great, shape so even the 11:00 AM start on a weekday does not really pose any problems. (would be too late for me) I'd look at somehow adding in a few from the Airline somehow, perhaps exiting King Ravine by the Chemin Des Dames trail.

As Peakbagger pointed out the trips from Appalachia are amongst the ones with the most elevation gain, it's the lowest starting point of the most popular trailheads. (Great Gulf ane maybe some on Dolly Copp are close or even a little lower but few do Washington via the Great Gulf) It's also why I usually start on the Ammo or at the Cog lot....

As Peakbagger pointed out the trips from Appalachia are amongst the ones with the most elevation gain, it's the lowest starting point of the most popular trailheads. (Great Gulf ane maybe some on Dolly Copp are close or even a little lower but few do Washington via the Great Gulf) It's also why I usually start on the Ammo or at the Cog lot....

Washington via the Great Gulf is an awesome hike. I was able to do last summer and relative to most people on this page I am not in good shape at all. No real scrambles on it but head wall is a very steep climb for a very long time (I think 1600' of vertical in 0.8 miles or something like that).

I would expect there will be lots of snow still in there though and wouldn't be trying this route right now. I did in mid-June last year and there was still some fairly deep patches of snow around Spaulding Lake. I would assume as others have pointed out that Six Husbands would be fairly unpleasant with the ladders and steep scrambles in current conditions. I would be avoiding the ravines right now too, especially if you want to cover the ground you are planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree that staying out of the Great Gulf Trails and doing a route like JFB or Sierra suggested would give you an awesome hike and you would in no way feel like you got short changed. The Perch would be a good two night spot to hit all of your peaks, but if you do stay at VW tent site, the elevation gain the next morning is not that bad. I have base camped there for three nights and climbed up to tree line and the summits each day. I have stayed many times at the Perch, a great spot as well. It's all good but I would not want to break through rotten snow on the Buttress Trail and hit all the uneven boulders that make up the trail...good way to hurt a leg I imagine. Have a good hike!

Thanks to all who gave advice! I ended up dayhiking the four peaks, going up watson and valley way before hitting the ridge for a couple hours. I'm still planning on doing six husbands and king ravine, but later in the summer.

Next up- moonlight presi traverse.