Baxter State Park Ranger Opening

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There used to quite a waiting list to be a full time ranger, many of the summer rangers were working there hoping to go full time.

When I first went to Baxter around 1980, there was a female summer ranger, Hannah? at Chimney Pond that had been working Chimney for several years. She worked at Chimney in the summer and Antarctica in the winter. Chimney was one of the tougher jobs in the park as the ranger had to compost the waste for the campground plus all the visitors that hiked through. She was definitely qualified but the strong rumor at the time was that Buzz Caverly played favorites and rangers were expected to be male. She ended up going to work for the state of maine running one of the campgrounds on a remote island. I think when Buzz finally retired, the park got a lot more professional on running the place.

When I first went to Baxter around 1980, there was a female summer ranger, Hannah? at Chimney Pond that had been working Chimney for several years. She worked at Chimney in the summer and Antarctica in the winter. Chimney was one of the tougher jobs in the park as the ranger had to compost the waste for the campground plus all the visitors that hiked through.
I 've been to Chimney Pond multiple times and fortunately never got composted. Although I must say it does take a special sort of person to do this job. I have run into a few cranky Rangers in Baxter but most of them have been real nice folks. Good luck to the new Ranger whomever it may be but no way am I jumping in the composter. Maybe they can call Gary Moody for that.

Last edited:
I don't know who is worse, Ski Guy for making the Gary Moody reference or me for knowing exactly what he is talking about.

My experience with the BSP rangers has been that they have a pretty low tolerance for basic tourist level BS. But, in the bigger picture, they are quite helpful & professional once they get up off the ground floor of ranger duties. I can't blame them as they have a pretty special place that they are trying to protect.