Kinda sorry they caught him...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"But when a former hiker recognized Hammes from television, he reported him to the authorities, submitting personal hike photos that included the fugitive."

I don't know. I think I'd laugh.
As long as the guy's not a child molester or killer or some such: Everyone has a Back Story.
Could have been some serious Trail Magic, though.

I tend to mind my own business and if I knew who he was, would not have said anything. But then again some people like the attention of being the guy who found him out. Live and Let live, I say.

The AT makes for a good spot to disappear and would allow the necessities of life to be fairly close by and easy to come across, especially for a well-liked thru hiker. It's a very supportive, very anonymous society.

On a related note, when I hiked the AT in 2000-2001, my partner and I passed more than a couple FBI most wanted signs at road crossings for Eric Rudolph who was suspected of hiding in the mountains at the time. He had been eluding the police for years by then. He was wanted for the Centennial Park bombings in 1996 and was caught in 2003.

Somebody on White Blaze claimed that he was wanted in connection to his wife's death. A considerable number of posts on White Blaze on this thread's topic.

Somebody on White Blaze claimed that he was wanted in connection to his wife's death. A considerable number of posts on White Blaze on this thread's topic.
There was nothing conclusive in the article I read. The fire that killed her was ruled an accident. It's suspicious, for sure, but it could be a coincidence.

He stole $9 million - good riddance.
I'm with you on this one Dave. 9 million, living life on the AT, and super nice guy. Those are the ones I would be worried about. Twisted to say the least IMO.

Ah yes, trail names. I asked my senior high school classes what mine ought to be. This was right after I discovered long gone backpacker.com/trailtalk. Well, they designated a spokesman (this is a rural high school and that makes a difference).

'Promise you won't get angry?' he asked.

'Try me (essaie donc)' I replied.

'Gremlin.' he said.

'You got it.' said I and we all clapped.

It's been Gremlin since 1999.