Backpacking North Twin/Twinway/Garfield Ridge/Gale River Trails, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbill

Reaction score
I'm interested in a one-night trip (no hut) via North Twin/Twinway/Garfield Ridge/Gale River Trails in late June. Does anyone have any input on general conditions for tenting/hammocking along or around this route? I understand you're supposed to camp at least 1/4 mile away from the hut.
Thanks!

Up on the ridge that area is pretty thickly sprucy, with not much available water (with the obvious exceptions of the garfield ridge lean-to, and garfield pond). Take the Twin Brook Trail all the way down to 13 Falls, it's worth it.

I never found anything worth it in that area before. I've ended up either going way past Garfield toward Garfield Pond (out of your way) or into the Pemi to 13 Falls (also out of your way). To stay on track, I ended up way down Gale River Trail, so far that it was hardly worth it. Garfield Ridge Campsite is a good alternative..

If you asking about a nice campsite outside of what is listed, as dug mentioned, not much to see other than trees. If you are wondering if they are spots where you could put a hammock up for the night, that should be pretty easy.

You could get water at the hut and then walk beyond the 1/4 mile signs & find a spot. Would it be a place with a great view of the sky or surrounding peaks, no but finding two trees will be easy. Find two trees 6-8 feet apart may require some work and you'd probably want to do it with some daylight left in case you have to wander a bit off the trail.