05/23/2014 - Mt. Hancock’s Crystal Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool and an enjoyable read. Last fall, I looped up the Arrow Slide and out to NW Hancock where I saw your Crystal Ravine Slide, and returned via the Cedar (Brook) Slide. It was a neat experience.

Tim

I remember two things about my NW Hancock visit. The wooded mini knife edge just S of the NW peak was a fun feature, and I too liked the view from there into the ravine. And second, I remember how utterly long it seemed to take to return to Hancock Notch from the base of the slide along the Cedar Brook Trail vs. what I was ready for based on the map. The latter could just be standard "the exit always seems long" syndrome, but it's notable in my recollection to this day.

You mentioned enjoying the ridge to the N of the NW summit. Along with getting to explore the ties to Carrigain from Hancock's other end sometime, I think it would be a fun exploit to hike up that NW ridge, perhaps culminating in either a full NW-SE Hancock ridge traverse or a lollypop loop around and back down over the ridge across the ravine.

Alex

Hi Alex,

That NW-SE Hancock traverse sounds like a fantastic idea!

I had attempted to climb that NW ridge of Hancock from the North last year. A small slide on the extreme North of the NW ridge intersects the Wilderness Trail. I hiked that slide to the top of a triangular peak, just North of NW Hancock. My goal was to make it to Hancock, but it was much further than I had anticipated, and the spruce on that ridge is very dense. so I turned around.

You're right! That ridge is a little "Pemi Knife-edge!" A few weeks ago, I hiked a large slide on the North West side of Hancock to the summit of NW Hancock. The view from that ridge is quite good in some spots.

Dennis

Its good to see of the spirit of adventure that used to be far more prevalent on this site in a new member. Exploring the trail less spots on the map seems to be far less popular these days

I third the motion on the full NW to SE Hancock traverse. Looking at topos the other day in response to the Captain whack thread, the thought occurred to me, and I wrote a post about it. The press of the most hectic work week of the year called me away from it, so I never hit the button to post it. Glad I wasn't the only person on that wavelength, though that NW ridge sounds daunting. Maybe a N-S traverse instead. ...