Continuity

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
1917 WMG said:
The Davis Path now veers to the N.W., passing W. of the precipitous Giant Stairs, but ascending gradually along a steep mountain side and then zigzagging boldly N.E. toward the flat top of Stairs Mountain.
2012 WMG said:
Davis Path now veers northwest, passing west of the precipitous Giant Stairs, ascending gradually along a steep mountainside, then zigzagging boldly northeast--with occasional steep scrambles on ledges--toward the flat top of Stairs Mtn.
It's amazing how passages are clearly updated to the style guide, but primarily left well enough alone when they're serving sufficiently well. Yet the Guide has its own voice and hardly sounds dated.

It's amazing how passages are clearly updated to the style guide, but primarily left well enough alone when they're serving sufficiently well. Yet the Guide has its own voice and hardly sounds dated.

I like the color commentary that it adds when reading the descriptions. It's something that I've greatly appreciated while redlining. There are some keywords to lookout for, like 'steep and rough'. I think almost every trail into the Great Gulf has that description. I'm curious if they had them in the 1917 edition too! :)

There are some keywords to lookout for, like 'steep and rough'. I think almost every trail into the Great Gulf has that description. I'm curious if they had them in the 1917 edition too! :)
Take a look 1907 and others are there, too...I just happened to hit 1917 because I was curious about the "down-look" by Stairs.

The description of the Great Gulf Trail itself is very different. The 2012 edition does have "Ascent on the headwall is very steep and rough." I rather like this section from 1907: "After passing the Great Gulf Camp the trail leads, in about 1/2m., into the West Branch. 'Into the West Branch' is literally correct, for the trail follows the bed of the stream for a short distance. This section of the trail is obscure, but the tramper will see, up stream, a considerable waterfall." I was under the impression "very steep and rough" was a Gene-ism, but in 1907, Six Husbands has "the trail is sometimes easy and sometimes steep and rough," and "[t]he way is now unmistakable, but steep and rough."