Lost Hikers on Davis Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
So they made them hike from 'near Mt Isolation' back to the Summit of Mt Washington? That's a beautiful hike, but not what I would have expected. I wonder if the female's injury made it easier to go uphill than downhill. Glad everyone is ok.

image.jpg:D They must have forgot to bookmark Facebook before leaving the trailhead.

Looks like I have to stay found again to earn some points back for CT hikers.......:eek: Glad things worked out, will be curious if either went through the Griswold school system where my wife teaches.

We've all missed a turn along the way (well I have anyway) but I've never gone that far off course. Ok, so they missed the turn for Boott Spur Trail, but then they also went past Glen Boulder Trail. By then the mistake should have been quite obvious. The Gulf of Slides is a fairly big landmark, and for them, it's a ravine too far. And if they got "close to Isolation" then they had to miss the junctions with Isolation Trail west then Isolation Trail east as well. That's 4 junctions they blew past. They are traversing a ridge for miles instead of descending. They are going south when they should have turned east long ago. Is this poor navigating or simply non-navigating?

Double fail to the Conway Daily Sun for 'GSP' and 'Lake in the Clouds AMC hut', or is that triple fail, for 'LakeS' and 'OF'.

As an aside, I don't hike with GPS, even bushwhacking, and my cell phone is off during hikes. In addition to the intangible benefits of that, it saves the battery in case you really need the phone ... like the time I called my mother, then well into her 80's, to find out the score of a Patriots game.

I have, however, programmed several emergency numbers ... just in case. I suppose those numbers should be reviewed periodically to assure they are current for the relevant rescue and emergency services.

Does anyone know if any of the rescue or emergency resources have numbers to which text messages can be relayed, texting being a more reliable option in some cases of distress? Programmed messages which minimize on site drafting would be useful, too, in many distress circumstances. Likewise, with the infestation of smart phones, do any of the rescue or emergency services have potential contact on social media such as Facebook?

(I'll leave it to the moderators to decide if these questions warrant a separate thread.)

Maybe the moral of this story should be, " If your going to take the wrong path, try not to make it one of the longest trails in the Whites":eek:

Maybe the moral of this story should be, " If your going to take the wrong path, try not to make it one of the longest trails in the Whites":eek:

Haha, that made me laugh! Too true. Gotta give them some credit for trying to get down, right?!

Looks like I have to stay found again to earn some points back for CT hikers.......:eek: Glad things worked out, will be curious if either went through the Griswold school system where my wife teaches.

Me too! I live in Woodstock,CT, same home town as one of the hikers. Pressure is on to salvage some respect. :)

Well, Connecticut drivers seem to have no problem figuring out that I-91 goes North and South and I-95 goes North and South, but in different directions.