Hiking Short Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
My quest for the perfect hiking shorts continues. I currently use the EMS compass shorts. The flexibility of the fabric is great but the inseam is too long (10.5 inches). When I take big steps up the hem digs into my leg. I think a 5 inch inseam would work, but haven't been able to find any in a stretchy fabric. I have though about running shorts but like the pockets of hiking shorts. What works for you? All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Tuck

For many many years, I have sworn by Patagonia's baggy shorts. They are very simple, have a mesh liner and two large front pockets and a wallet pocket. They dry very fast and are extremely durable, they also pack well and double as a nice swimsuit.Two years ago, on a whim, I bought a pair of cargo shorts from REI ( thier brand name). They are long, but man are they nice, they are light, dry fast and have mega pockets. They even have a soft band of material around the inside of the waistband for added comfort. One thing about the Pat. baggies is the inseam is about 9 inches and that really helps for high steps.

Mine are REI cargo pants as well I bought in 2008. I liked them so much I went back to get a second pair, but they changed the design and I do not like the new ones nearly as much. What works for me may not work for you, you are on the right track to experiment. I like baggy with big pockets and do not restrict movement and are cool. Be careful not too baggy for they may get snagged on trail side growth too easy. As for running shorts, mine tend to be very light weight with minimal (no) pockets, just a key holder. I think trail side growth would tear them up in a hike or two.

Something on sale, so you have until the late summer when they go on sale.... I have EMS, TNF and a few pair of convertible pants, some with pockets, some with liners, some with zippers.

The ones that resemble running shorts the most, don't have zippers. The TNF ones have two regular pockets in front and two two zippered smaller pockets, they are probably my favorite out of the nylon, with mesh liner types. They'd be perfect if they had a zipper.... (I am okay with longer, they may be 7 or 8 inseam but no one really wants to see an old guy is 80's running shorts. :eek:)

You're up north so I'd look at Ragged and I would not rule out any of the discount chains you may find in Littleton, you might find what you want at Target or Wal-mart as they tried to make a knock off of a brand name pair.

A long time ago I bought two pairs of supplex nylon gramicci shorts. They were as close to perfect hiking shorts as I ever found. The only improvement would have been to have side cargo pockets. They had the annoying fault of wearing out the thread stitching before the fabric but otherwise very accommodating of movement and good moisture control. When I wore out one pair I pulled the sku from the file and called the company to inquire about replacement. For me cost was not an issue and I was okay paying the MSRP of $30 ish. They told me they were discontinued and no longer available for 5 yrs now.

So I went to ragged and bought yards of supplex in3 colors. Enough for 5 pairs of shorts. Then when my travels took me to China I brought the fabric and a worn out pair of the shorts as an example. Did you know that it costs$4.50 to get a pair of custom shorts sewn in China?

Hi Tuck,

I really enjoy a stretch fabric material for all of my hiking pants. That being said, when in comes to shorts, I enjoy a pair that has many pocket configurations and a very roomy fit.

I have three pairs of the Boca Grande Shorts from Bass Pro Shops and love the comfort and durability of an oversized pair. I usually wear a 30" waist but my favorite shorts from BPS are 36" in circumference. This allows for a roomy fit, wide leg, and forgiving inseam. I have put these shorts through the ringer and even wear them over a stretchy material in combination with gaiters in winter if the conditions become seriously cold. A lightweight nylon belt keeps these oversized shorts where they belong.

IMHO these are a fantastic deal and are very comfortable in a wide variety of applications.
http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Boca-Grande-Cargo-Shorts-for-Men/product/10231409/

I hope this helps,

Z :D

I second the Patagonia Baggies (5" inseam). Been using for 20+ years.

My quest for the perfect hiking shorts continues. I currently use the EMS compass shorts. The flexibility of the fabric is great but the inseam is too long (10.5 inches). When I take big steps up the hem digs into my leg. I think a 5 inch inseam would work, but haven't been able to find any in a stretchy fabric. I have though about running shorts but like the pockets of hiking shorts. What works for you? All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Tuck

An important question Tuck!

I go for comfort and lightness primarily and pockets are not a priority for me as long as there are two front pockets for an occasional map or tennis ball.

Most of the time, I prefer a flexible, light fabric in shorts with a draw string tie. I've never really liked shorts designed for hiking as I do not like anything in my pockets weighing on/hitting my legs when I hike. For this reason, I mostly hike in tennis shorts that are longer than running shorts but shorter than what I call "long" shorts that go down to the knee.

I'm actually very particular about what shorts I will hike in, but it's completely a question of comfort while moving with me. If I wouldn't run in them, I won't hike in them.

Soft, flexible, light fabric for me.