Thoreau Falls Bridge Removal?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following this for awhile without commenting. Since it's unlikely I'll ever get out there, it's more of an abstract question for me. While many here make an excellent case for replacing the bridge and I probably lean that way, the Wilderness "purity" argument has merit as well. I wonder if the FS has given any consideration to an "abandon in place" option? In other words, neither repair, replace nor remove the bridge but just leave it as is to gradually deteriorate into a Wilderness artifact. This might have less environmental impact in the long run than either the replace or remove options. They could officially say the bridge is closed but when you get out there, if you want use whatever's left of it to try and cross, it's up to you. I suspect their lawyers won't let them go this route.

I have been following this for awhile without commenting. Since it's unlikely I'll ever get out there, it's more of an abstract question for me. While many here make an excellent case for replacing the bridge and I probably lean that way, the Wilderness "purity" argument has merit as well. I wonder if the FS has given any consideration to an "abandon in place" option? In other words, neither repair, replace nor remove the bridge but just leave it as is to gradually deteriorate into a Wilderness artifact. This might have less environmental impact in the long run than either the replace or remove options. They could officially say the bridge is closed but when you get out there, if you want use whatever's left of it to try and cross, it's up to you. I suspect their lawyers won't let them go this route.

Proboly won't happen. Itboils down to whether it should be there or not. If yes wins they fix it, if no, it's gone completely. At least that's my take.

I would expect it is too much of an "attractive nuisance" to leave in place. When it fails it could harm someone and given the lack of alternative crossing options folks will use it despite it being posted as unsafe.

The FS tends to set management objectives for their staff and I expect removing long term maintenance and capital obligations from the Pemi area is the main driver. As long as its standing, a change in political winds could force them to spend money they would much rather spend on projects like the "septic tank truck highway" upgrade to the East side truck road.