Bigelow Range (6/13/2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

6/13/2015:

Trails: Solo ascent via Fire Wardens Trail, Horns Pond Trail, traverse the AT over the ridge, then back down via Fire Wardens Trail

Trail Conditions: Extremely wet and muddy. One of the wettest hikes I've ever done. Partially due to the rain that fell the night before. Very long stretches of all three trails were muddy or had rivulets running down them. This appears to be a consistent problem on several of these sections, as it appears the trail is widening due to people avoiding the standing or running water.

Special Equipment Required: Good boots.

Comments: Mosquitoes were really bad in the morning (about 7:00 am) at the trailhead to about 1/4 of the way up the Horns Pond trail. The water crossing about 2/3 of the way up Horns Pond Trail required removal of boots to cross. I was first on the trail this morning and noticed fresh signs of moose along the route near Stratton Brook Pond. Also noticed fresh signs of moose about 1/2 way up Horns Pond Trail. Only saw 15 hikers all day. A glorious day on the summits. Blue sky, nice breeze. Couldn't be better for my first ascent of the ridge.

[email protected]